Skip to main content

Streets, sidewalks & alleys

Request to change the City Plan

The City Plan is the official record of Philadelphia’s street system.

Changes to the City Plan include:

  • Placing new streets on the City Plan.
  • Striking existing streets from the City Plan.
  • Revising the lines and/or grades of existing streets.
  • Relocating curblines and changing roadway widths.
  • Placing or striking City utility rights of way on or from the City Plan.

The Department of Streets’ Board of Surveyors and Bureau of Surveys process requests for changes to the City Plan.

How to make a request

Submit a formal request letter to the Department of Streets commissioner.

Write this letter on your organization’s letterhead. Clearly state what changes to the City Plan you are requesting and your reason for the request.

Send your letter to:

Carlton Williams / Department of Streets Commissioner
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Room 730
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Work Phone:
Contact the Bureau of Surveys to discuss the proposed action.

The bureau will explain the potential obstacles and required conditions for your request.

Thomas F. Marro, Jr., PLS / City Plans Officer
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Room 880
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Work Phone:
(215) 686-5636
File an application form and pay the $750 application fee.

In addition to the application form, include:

  • A copy of the formal request letter you submitted to the Streets commissioner.
  • Relevant blueprints, plans, sketches, or other pertinent documents.
  • A non-refundable application fee of $750.00. You must pay this fee by check, made payable to the City of Philadelphia.

Mail all materials to:

Karl E. Kriegh, PLS / Survey Bureau Manager
1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Room 830
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Work Phone: