The Office of Business Development and Workforce Solutions works to attract international and domestic companies. It also supports the expansion of those already in Philadelphia. This includes convening workforce partners for job opportunities across all business sectors.
Business attraction and retention
Philadelphia possesses the key ingredients any company needs to support its long-term growth. Business development staff provide information and resources to companies looking to start, expand, or relocate to the city.
We aim to position Philadelphia as a global destination across all business sectors while growing as a 24-hour city. The work portfolio represents key industries, including:
- Life sciences.
- Advanced manufacturing and logistics.
- Creative economy.
- Strategic tech initiatives.
- Foreign direct investment.
- Trade opportunities.
Philadelphia invites businesses from around the world to explore the benefits of our city. The Department of Commerce has a team dedicated to supporting international businesses.
- Attracting and retaining businesses.
- Supporting export and global expansion for Philadelphia businesses.
- Hosting inbound and outbound delegations.
Workforce solutions staff convene workforce organizations to prepare Philadelphians for family-sustaining job opportunities in all business sectors. They also provide employer incentives.
This unit works to build a workforce system that is more coordinated, innovative, and effective. The work aims to address poverty, the talent needs of employers, and to grow the economy.
Workforce Professional Alliance
The Workforce Professional Alliance (WPA) is a partnership of 24 workforce development organizations committed to increasing access to career readiness programs for Philadelphians. The WPA works to connect, advocate, and drive the impact of workforce development services in Philadelphia.
To learn more about the WPA or apply for membership, contact the workforce solutions team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Workforce development programs
- Fueling Philadelphia’s Talent Engine strategy materials – A three-year blueprint for driving economic growth with equity in Philadelphia, the predecessor of the Respond and Recharge Commitment
- Philadelphia Works Inc – Funds and oversees employment and training services to help Philadelphia employers and job seekers
- Economy League Report – Industry analytics for Philadelphia’s workforce strategy
- Workforce Respond and Recharge Commitment