Learn about the mission, vision, values, and priorities of the Department of Commerce.
The Department of Commerce is the economic catalyst for the City of Philadelphia helping all businesses thrive. Commerce creates equitable wealth-building opportunities to grow quality jobs, build capacity in under-resourced communities, and make it easier to operate a successful business in Philadelphia.
The Department of Commerce envisions Philadelphia as a more dynamic, diverse destination with a thriving economy that benefits all people who live in, work in, and visit our city.
- Equity: We elevate economic prosperity by acknowledging the systemic oppressions experienced by marginalized communities and work towards a more equitable, fair future.
- Accountability: We are dedicated to consistently serving the needs of business owners, companies, and job seekers for the growth of our city’s economy and quality of life for all.
- Active listening: We strive to actively listen to the needs of those we serve, and the critical insights they carry within their own communities and neighborhoods.
- Diversity: We honor the lived experiences and identities of everyone we serve each day while striving to meet them where they are.
- Partnership: We forge economic development partnerships that are intentional and well-coordinated for the prosperous livelihoods of those we serve.
- Integrity: We believe in the moral principles of honesty, transparency, and service.
- Opportunity: We are dedicated to increasing access and opportunities for all.
- Help businesses grow. Commerce staff provide one-on-one customer service, outreach, and education to business owners. We also partner with community organizations and business associations to reach all entrepreneurs.
- Improve shopping areas. Commerce delivers improvements in partnership with local organizations. We make investments in community infrastructure to attract businesses and sustain vibrant commercial districts.
- Attract and keep businesses. Commerce works with partners to make Philadelphia a great place to do business. We use data to grow business incentives, and deliver marketing and communication campaigns.
- Connect talent to growth industries. Commerce works with key partners to inform employers of workforce resources. We analyze economic industries that will need specific skilled populations and connect family-sustaining job opportunities.
- Grow generational wealth. Strive to build wealth in communities of color, including Black, Indigenous, and Latinx people. Commerce will continue to create programs in alignment with the Philadelphia Equitable Entrepreneurship Ecosystem.
- Improve the ease of doing business. Leverage economic research to drive policy and strategy. Commerce convenes thought leaders to gather feedback and continue to advocate for the business community. We collaborate with partners to influence policies that drive fair economic development.
Read Commerce by the Numbers to see where we’re going and our economic impact.