WARNING OF RISK OF TAX FORECLOSURE LETTER
If you owe Real Estate Taxes and haven’t entered into a payment agreement with the Department of Revenue, you will receive this letter. It explains the consequences of not paying your bill, and includes information on how to pay your bill.
You can view the full text of the letter in English here, or any of eight other languages below. If you have any questions, call the Department of Revenue at (215) 686-6442.
NON-PAYMENT MAY RESULT IN SHERIFF’S SALE OF YOUR PROPERTY
Real Estate Taxes for 2019 were due March 31, 2019. If you don’t pay in full or enter into a payment agreement with the City by December 31, 2019, the City may start the foreclosure process.
Waiting to pay only increases your bill. The City has already added costs to your bill. If your 2019 Real Estate Tax is still unpaid on January 1, 2020 you will face extra costs, such as:
- January 1, 2020 – Lien charges and interest
- February 1, 2020 – Penalties, attorney’s fees, and other costs or expenses
If you also owe Real Estate Taxes for previous years, the City can take legal action at any time before December 31, 2019. This legal action includes adding costs to your bill, such as: penalties, interest, fees, expenses and attorney fees. Legal action may also include selling your property at Sheriff’s Sale. If sold at Sheriff’s Sale, the Philadelphia Land Bank has a right to buy your property for the amount of outstanding municipal claims. No other bidding will occur if the Land Bank chooses to exercise this right. For complete balance information, visit www.phila.gov/revenue.
TO AVOID LEGAL ACTION, PAY THE REAL ESTATE TAX IN FULL
You can pay your bill:
- Online using the Real Estate Tax portal, remember eCheck is free! (There are fees for debit or credit card payments.)
- By phone at (877) 309-3710, eCheck over the phone is free! (There are fees for debit or credit card payments.)
- By mail. Make check, money order, or other certified funds payable to City of Philadelphia - Remember to include your OPA Account Number! Mail to: City of Philadelphia, Department of Revenue, PO Box 8409, Philadelphia, PA 19101-8409.
- In person. We have three different locations to serve you, open Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Cash payments are only accepted at our Municipal Services Building location in Center City: 1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
CAN’T PAY IN FULL? TO AVOID LEGAL ACTION, ENTER INTO A PAYMENT AGREEMENT
You may be eligible for taxpayer assistance programs, including the Homestead Exemption and tax relief.
- You must have an ownership interest and live in the property to qualify
- Allows affordable monthly payments based on your income and ability to pay
STANDARD PAYMENT AGREEMENTS
- You do not need to live in the property to qualify
- The City will work with you to arrange a payment agreement
Need more help? Free housing counseling and legal services agencies are trained to help homeowners with delinquent Real Estate Taxes. Visit http://www.phila.gov/dhcd/housing-counseling/ to learn more.
BE AWARE OF OTHER CHARGES & LIENS
In addition to Real Estate taxes, other amounts owed to the City of Philadelphia may be filed as liens against the property, including, but not limited to, water and sewer charges, refuse collection fees, and nuisance and demolition fees and fines. For more information, including amounts due, call:
- Water Revenue Bureau at (215) 685-6300
- Refuse Collection Unit at (215) 686-5090
- Department of Licenses and Inspections (Agency Receivables Unit) at (215) 686-2670 or (215) 686- 6648
- Have more questions or need help? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (215) 686-6442.
|Warning of Risk of Tax Foreclosure – 2018 – Arabic pdf||Arabic version||October 3, 2018|
|Warning of Risk of Tax Foreclosure – 2018 – Chinese pdf||Simple Chinese version||October 3, 2018|
|Warning of Risk of Tax Foreclosure – 2018 – French pdf||French version||October 3, 2018|
|Warning of Risk of Tax Foreclosure – 2018 – Korean pdf||Korean version||October 3, 2018|
|Warning of Risk of Tax Foreclosure – 2018 – Portuguese pdf||Portuguese version||October 3, 2018|
|Warning of Risk of Tax Foreclosure – 2018 – Russian pdf||Russian version||October 3, 2018|
|Warning of Risk of Tax Foreclosure – 2018 – Spanish pdf||Spanish version||October 3, 2018|
|Warning of Risk of Tax Foreclosure – 2018 – Vietnamese pdf||Vietnamese version||October 3, 2018|