We envision a healthy and active Philadelphia – a city where healthy eating and active living are easy choices for all residents.
We work with community-based organizations, health care providers, private employers, academic institutions, and government agencies to create healthier environments throughout Philadelphia.
Community Food Access and Affordability
Bringing fresh, healthy and affordable foods to low-income neighborhoods.
Active Living in Communities
Making neighborhoods safer with increased opportunities for physical activity.
Working with schools to improve standards and reduce available junk food.
Creating healthier environments in school and after-school settings.
Citywide Nutrition Standards
Setting new standards and promoting best practices for City agencies.
Media and Policy Environments
Educating the public about unhealthy behaviors and chronic disease.
- Reduce adult obesity from 35% to 30%
- Reduce childhood obesity from 21% to 17%
- Reduce adult type II diabetes from 13% to 11%
- Reduce heart disease and stroke deaths from 22,800 to 20,500
- Mayor Michael Nutter
- Marian Tasco, Councilwoman, City of Philadelphia
- William R. Hite Jr., School District of Philadelphia
- David Cohen, Comcast
- Daniel J. Hilferty, Independence Blue Cross
- Dr. Larry Kaiser, Temple University
- Ronnie Bloom, William Penn Foundation
- Jeffrey Cooper for Amy Gutmann, University of Pennsylvania
- Ken Trujillo, Trujillo, Rodriguez and Richards, LLC
- Leslie Best, PA Department of Health
- Dr. Marla Gold, Drexel University
- Dr. Donald Schwarz, Health Commissioner, Deputy Mayor, Health and Opportunity
- American Cancer Society
- American Heart Association
- Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania
- Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia
- Center for Health Behavior Research at the University of Pennsylvania
- Commerce Department, City of Philadelphia
- Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission
- Deputy Mayor’s Office of Health and Opportunity, City of Philadelphia
- Deputy Mayor’s Office of Public Safety, City of Philadelphia
- Drexel University School of Public Health
- Environmental Health Services, Philadelphia Department of Public Health
- Food Fit Philly Coalition
- The Food Trust
- Health Promotion Council of Southeastern PA
- Law Department, City of Philadelphia
- Maternity Care Coalition
- Maternal and Child Family Health, Philadelphia Department of Public Health
- Mayor's Office of Sustainability, City of Philadelphia
- Mayor's Office of Transportation and Utilities, City of Philadelphia
- Pennsylvania Department of Health
- Philadelphia Parks and Recreation, City of Philadelphia
- Philadelphia City Planning Commission
- Philadelphia County Medical Society
- Philadelphia Police Department
- Procurement Department, City of Philadelphia
- Public Health Management Corporation
- School District of Philadelphia
- St. Joseph's University Department of Food Marketing in the Haub School of Business
- Streets Department, City of Philadelphia
- Temple University Center for Obesity Research and Education
- Temple University Department of Public Health, Center for Asian Health
- Thomas Jefferson University School of Population Health
The Food Fit Philly Coalition brings together healthy eating and active living practitioners, experts and advocates to help build a healthy and active city. For more information on the Food Fit Philly coalition, contact Amanda Wagner at 215-685-5252.
- Fruits and Veggies Matter (CDC)
- "Let's Move" National Nutrition Campaign
- Philadelphia and the Million Hearts™ Initiative
- Million Hearts Campaign: Preventing Heart Disease and Stroke (CDC)
- Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity: Bias, Discrimination and Obesity
- CDC Overweight & Obesity Fact Sheets
- HBO: The Weight of the Nation