We conduct routine sanitation/safety inspections of all licensed shops that provide tattooing, body piercing, and permanent make-up services in Philadelphia. We cease operations at non-licensed shops as we are made aware of them.
We also issue and maintain records of all certified body artists and apprentices in Philadelphia and offer blood borne pathogens training classes for artists/apprentices.
To apply for a Body Art Artist/Apprentice Certificate, an applicant must submit:
- A completed application for a Philadelphia Department of Public Health Body Art Artist/Apprentice Certificate;
- Official documentation stating that he/she has been conducting this work full time for at least three years (for new Philadelphia Body Art Artists only);
- For an apprentice, a letter (stating that the certified Body Art Artist is taking the applicant on as a Body Art Apprentice) signed by both the artist and apprentice must be submitted with the application.
To apply for a Body Art Establishment Certificate, an establishment must submit:
- A completed application for a Philadelphia Department of Public Health Body Art Establishment Certificate;
- For NEW establishments, a completed Body Art Plan Review for New Body Art Establishments application must be submitted to the Office of Environmental Engineering.
- Instructions and Application Form for a Philadelphia Body Art Artist/Apprentice Certificate
- Instructions and Application Form for a Philadelphia Body Art Establishment Certificate
- Body Art Plan Review for New Body Art Establishments
Questions or concerns? Please email Health.BodyArt@Phila.gov.