Right now, many of us are trying to find ways to save money. More than ever, it is important for us to remember our health. Whether you are looking for a new job or trying to keep a job, it is very important to stay healthy. This health bulletin will give you simple tips on eating healthy, staying fit and dealing with stress for less.
Fast food is not the answer to eating on a budget. Eating healthy lowers the risk of developing cancer, heart disease, diabetes and obesity. You can still eat healthy and not spend a lot of money. Here are some healthy, yet cheap, tips to get you started:
- Make and eat more meals at home instead of eating out
- Don't shop hungry
- Grow your own food
- like vegetables and herbs
- Decrease your portions
- you'll save money and be healthier
- Try store brands
- Shop on the edge of the supermarket
- that's where the healthy food is (fresh produce and dairy)
Along the supermarket edge you will find healthy food all under $1 per serving, such as:
- Wild rice
- Garbanzo beans
- Pumpkin seeds
A good workout does not mean you need to join a gym. You can try other things that will save you time and money.
There are some things you likely have in your house right now that could be used as weights – get creative!
Make you own weights:
- Full soup cans
- Full water bottles
- Milk or orange juice jugs
- Paint cans
30% of U.S. adults are obese, which raises their risk for high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
The key to success is to find something you enjoy. Try to exercise three to five times per week for 30 to 60 minutes.
The following exercise tips are completely free and can be done in the comfort of your own home:
- Jogging in place
- Jumping rope
- Using your staircase
- free step workout!
- Chair exercises
- leg lifts during commercials
- end result, a great clean home and a fitter you
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator
Sometimes it can be hard to stay calm and relaxed in our hectic lives. With everything we have going on in our lives, it seems almost impossible to find ways to relieve stress. But it's important to find those ways. Your health depends on it.
Common stress symptoms:
- Trouble sleeping
- Eating too much or not at all
- Trouble concentrating
Everyone has stress. Getting lost while driving or missing the bus can cause stress. Stress triggers changes in our bodies and makes us more likely to get sick.
How can I handle stress?
- it is important to unwind
- Make time for yourself
- it is important to care for yourself
- sleeping is a great way to help both your body and mind
- Eat right
- get energy from fruits and vegetables
- Get moving
- physical activity will help relieve your tense muscles and help your mood too!
- Get a hobby
- find something you enjoy