Vision, mission, and goals
Learn more about our vision, mission, and goals for an urban forest in Philadelphia that meets citywide equity and sustainability goals.
Philadelphia will be home to a resilient and equitably distributed urban forest that helps residents thrive in every neighborhood of our city. Trees on public and private land in the city will be recognized as a vital part of city infrastructure and will provide environmental, social, economic, and health benefits for all present and future Philadelphians.
Our urban forest will be a source of pride for Philadelphians and will inspire advocacy and participation in tree planting and protection throughout the city.
To establish a 10-year strategic plan for the planting and care of the urban forest, guided by values of environmental justice, community engagement, and sustainability.
- To communicate the social, economic, and ecological value of the urban forest
- To prioritize equity in service delivery, ensuring that the most vulnerable and underserved communities benefit from a healthy tree canopy
- To facilitate collaboration and identify clearly defined roles among City agencies, nonprofits, scientists, and engaged residents
- To plan for the proactive planting and care of our urban forest
- To identify funding goals and strategies for Philadelphia’s urban forest
- To propose strong and enforceable public policy for the protection of our city trees
- To build a culture of trust and collaboration between Philadelphia residents and the institutions that serve our urban forest