What we do
Philadelphia Parks & Recreation connects the city’s residents to the natural world, to each other, and to fun physical and social opportunities. We manage historically significant Philadelphia events and special venues, and we work with communities and organizations, leading capital projects and introducing creative programming.
Philadelphia’s large, diverse parks and recreation system provides something for everyone. Listed below are some of facilities and programs we’re responsible for:
- 300+ neighborhood parks, rec centers, and playgrounds
- 166 miles of trails and 40 historic sites
- 60 community gardens, farms, and orchards
- 3 environmental education centers
- 600+ baseball, softball, football, and soccer fields
- 74 pools
- 400+ basketball and 200+ tennis courts
- 5 ice skating rinks
- 5 golf courses
- 25 public computer centers
Parks & Rec is now accepting limited permits at specific sites across the city.
Effective February 1, 2021
Parks & Rec will resume issuing permits for the following activities:
- All sports and activities are allowed with these restrictions:
- No spectators.
- Masks must be worn at all times when a distance of 6 feet cannot be maintained.
- Tournaments of three or more teams are prohibited.
- Media projects including videos, photos, and film.
- Skills and drills activities only:
- No contact sports.
- No spectators.
- See what sports are allowed.
- Select gymnasiums and multipurpose rooms may be permitted for use.
- No competitions are allowed in Parks and Rec gymnasiums. The only exception is School District of Philadelphia permit holders.
- The number of people per room is limited to:
- Gymnasiums: maximum 25 people in cohorts no larger than 10 people.
- Other rooms: maximum 10 people.
- Rooms smaller than 2,000 square feet cannot be permitted.
Indoor permit holders must attend and be responsible for the content of the Standard Operating Procedure Training hosted by Philadelphia Parks & Recreation staff.
Learn more about the changes to the following permits:
- Reserve a Parks & Rec facility or field.
- Apply for a media permit.
- Get a wedding ceremony or wedding photo permit.
Parks & Rec is not currently accepting permit applications for:
- Events and festivals.
- Friends and community group meetings.
Dec19EventChristmas caroling in Clark Park5:00 pm to 6:00 pmEvent
Christmas caroling in Clark ParkDecember 19, 20215:00 pm to 6:00 pm, 1 hour