September was Library Card Sign Up Month. And, boy, what a month it was for the Free Library of Philadelphia!
Over 5900 people joined the library during September 2016. That’s a lot of new library cards!
Were you one of the new members?
Here are five things you can do with your new (free) card!
- Access the Internet: Members enjoy free Internet access at neighborhood libraries, including the Free Library’s Parkway Central Library at 1901 Vine Street. Libraries with public access computers have kiosks available where you can input your card number and reserve a time slot — but you need to be a registered cardholder. Because Internet access is a popular feature, reservations have time limits. Ask your librarian if you have any questions. (Bonus: On October 24, the Free Library announced its IT department has completed a wireless upgrade at all 54 neighborhood locations to ensure faster Wi-Fi and stronger connections! More info here.)
- Read the Latest Magazines: The Free Library offers members and visitors the ability to read the latest magazines at neighborhood libraries. Can’t make it to your local library today? No problem! You can browse and download the library’s subscriptions online here.
- Check Out Musical Instruments: It’s a particularly exciting time to be a cardholder at the Free Library — today, in addition to books, you can now check out musical instruments! Whether you’re just learning guitar, or dusting off your decades-old ability to totally shred it, the Music Department at Parkway Central has got you covered!
- Stream or Check Out TV Shows and Movies: Ready for a weekend of binge watching? Get your groove going with Free Library’s multimedia collection! Cardholders are free to check out titles and borrow them or even stream the library’s collection via its digital streaming service hoopla.
- Check Out Books: From audio books to eBooks to actual paper books, checking out books is one of the most useful parts of having a library card! Whether you’re learning about DIY home improvement or studying a new language or you’re catching up on the latest murder mystery, your library card can help!
Are you still not a cardholder at the Free Library? That’s OK, but what are you waiting for? Being a cardholder and accessing these services is free.