Skip to main content

Who is involved in your foster child’s case?

When a child is placed in your home, you’ll begin working with a team of people toward the goal of a permanent home for your foster child.

It’s important that children in your care develop trusting relationships with you and the people you’ll be working with. If they’re older, it’s important that they have a voice in the decision-making process. It is also important that you feel supported in your role as a foster parent.

The people involved in your child's case

DHS investigation worker
This is the person who is first sent out to assess the safety of a child after a report of abuse or neglect.

CUA case manager
If it is determined that DHS services are needed, the child will be assigned a CUA case manager. This person will be the main point of contact for you and your foster child. The case manager:

  • Sets up meetings and coordinates with other professionals working with your family.
  • Attends court hearings.
  • Sets up a visitation schedule with the child’s biological parents, when possible.
  • Checks on children in your care regularly.

Other people who will be working with you

Your child will have a lawyer. Lawyers are also sometimes called advocates, attorneys, or counsel. The City Law Department also has lawyers that represent DHS. They are called assistant city solicitors. The court will send you a letter with the name and contact information for your attorney. If you do not know who your attorney is, you can contact the court’s Legal Liaison Office at (215) 686-4290.

The judges from Family Court will be making decisions during court hearings about your child and where they will live.

Being involved

You can call or email your case manager anytime. In addition, you can attend meetings that give you an opportunity to talk about what’s happening. These discussions can help inform the case plan.

What is a CUA and how do I find our CUA?

Philadelphia DHS works with organizations in the child’s original neighborhood. These are called Community Umbrella Agencies (CUAs).

Some CUAs also have programs that might be useful to you. Locate the CUA in your neighborhood using our CUA map.