The Department of Commerce manages funds for improvements in Philadelphia.
The City’s annual capital budget includes funding that can be used for:
- Neighborhood commercial corridor improvements.
- Partner organization capital projects.
These funds are used to improve:
- Other public spaces.
Neighborhood commercial corridor improvements
Neighborhood commercial corridor improvement projects make shopping areas:
Improvements to these areas can include:
- Street lighting.
- Safety improvements at intersections.
- Sidewalks and curbs.
- Street furniture.
- Trash receptacles.
- Bus shelters.
- Street trees and landscaping.
Partner organization capital projects
The Department of Commerce supports partner organizations working to create vibrant public spaces.
These organizations include:
- Delaware River Waterfront Corporation.
- Riverfront North Partnership.
- Schuylkill River Development Corporation.
Improvements have included new:
- Riverfront trails.
- Lighting and landscaping.
- Recreational spaces.
- Waterfront access projects.
Commerce also supports the creation of new roadways and utilities at the Navy Yard and other industrial areas. These improvements provide companies access to industrial land to open facilities in Philadelphia.