Sign In
City of Philadelphia

How to File a Complaint

If you believe an employer violated the law, you can file a complaint with the PCHR. You must file a complaint within 300 days of any unlawful act.

Complete a complaint form and return it to our office. Be sure to include copies of any proof of your claim such as: the job application, your resume (if you have one) or notice of rejection.

To file a complaint, you can mail, fax, or email a copy of your complaint form, or come in person to:

Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations
601 Walnut Street, Suite 300 South
Philadelphia, PA 19106
phone (215) 686-4670
fax (215) 686-4684

Examples of unlawful acts under the Ban the Box law

  • Asking about criminal records on an job application.
  • Asking about criminal records during any job interview. 
  • Asking about criminal records at any time before making a conditional offer of employment.
  • Making any adverse personnel action against an employee for arrests that did not lead to conviction.
  • Rejecting an applicant without weighing the type of offense, when it occurred and the connection to the job. 
  • Rejecting an applicant without conducting an individualized assessment. 
  • Failing to provide the applicant with notice of the rejection, and a copy of the criminal background report. 
  • Failing to provide the applicant with an opportunity to respond to the background report.