Sign In
City of Philadelphia

Domestic Violence Unpaid Leave

If you, or someone in your family or household, have been the victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, you may be entitled to take certain amounts of unpaid leave from work under a Philadelphia law called, "Entitlement to Leave Due to Domestic or Sexual Violence."

The law allows you to take an unpaid leave of absence from work so that you, or someone in your family or household, can get medical attention, legal assistance, social services or other help in dealing with domestic or sexual violence. You generally will need to provide your employer 48-hours notice before you can take leave, and you may need to give your employer documentation showing the reason for your absence. Your employer must keep the information you provide confidential.

The amount of unpaid leave you can take will depend on the size of your employer and the amount of Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) you have used. During your unpaid leave, your employer must continue providing you any benefits you would receive if you were not on leave. Once you return from leave, your employer must restore you to your original position or a position with comparable pay, benefits, and other terms and conditions of employment.