Philadelphia has some restrictions in place to slow the spread of COVID-19.
So what does this mean for Parks & Rec sites?
1) While some things are not allowed now (see below), you can still:
- Take your children to one of our playgrounds.
- Enjoy a quiet stroll or rest on a bench in one of our parks.
- Hike on one of our trails.
- Participate in outdoor recreational sports.
- Bike or run along MLK Drive in West Fairmount Park.
- Support local agriculture at farmers’ markets held at Parks & Rec sites.
- Use the Fairmount Park Organic Recycling Center.
- Rely on Access Centers as a safe place for children to complete their virtual school day. Learn more about the program and register.
Parks & Rec will now issue permits for limited activities, such as:
Private events (weddings, picnics).
Sports or group recreation.
Parks & Rec will accept Media Permit applications for consideration. Download a media permit application on our permit applications page.
Please read the A to Z guide below for more information.
PARKS & REC: A to Z
Athletic fields: OPEN
- Fields are open for individual and household use.
- No group sports—competitive or non-competitive—are allowed at this time.
- Parks & Rec is not taking permit applications for use of baseball and athletics fields at this time.
Buildings and bathrooms: CLOSED (with exceptions)
- Many Parks & Rec buildings and bathrooms remain closed to the public. This includes:
Courts and fields: OPEN
- Outdoor courts are open, and group sports and games are allowed.
- No tournaments of 3 or more teams are permitted.
- Players must:
- Wear masks at all times.
- Practice skills and drills only.
- Keep six feet apart.
- Wash or sanitize hands before and after play.
Community Gardens: OPEN
- Parks & Rec’s community gardens may continue to operate.
- Read the COVID-19 health and safety recommendations for gardens.
- All publicly advertised events at Parks & Rec sites are suspended until further notice.
Fairmount Park Organic Recycling Center: OPEN
The Fairmount Park Organic Recycling Center is open for business. All visitors must:
- Wear masks. Visitors without masks will be denied service.
- Bring their own shovel if picking up from the self-serve piles.
- Learn how to dispose of organic material.
- Learn how to get organic material.
Farmer’s markets: OPEN
- Farmers Markets at Parks & Rec sites may continue to operate following COVID-19 protocols.
Food concessions: OPEN
Many of our popular food concessions are open for pick up, take out, and limited outdoor dining.
All operations follow public health guidance.
- Ice rinks will re-open on a rolling basis starting January 25. Public skate resumes February 1.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive: OPEN TO BIKES & PEDESTRIANS ONLY
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive in West Fairmount Park remains closed to vehicular traffic:
- The drive is closed from the East Falls Bridge to Eakins Oval.
- This 24-hour-a-day closure provides more space for trail users to practice social distancing.
Older Adult Centers: OPEN (meal distribution only)
Parks & Rec’s six older adult centers are currently closed to the public.
- These sites are open for grab-and-go meals.
- Parks & Rec’s parks remain open.
- Please carry out what you carry in.
- Be sure to follow the posted rules and regulations.
All playgrounds at Parks & Rec sites are open.
- Be sure to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol after use.
- Sports and recreational activities are allowed at Parks & Rec sites, with some important exceptions.
- Outdoor sports
- Games permitted for all sports.
- Participation is limited to 10 people per 1,000 square feet.
- Basketball courts are typically 4,700 sq ft.
- Athletics fields are typically 48,000 sq ft.
- Indoor Sports
- High contact sports
- Skills and drills only.
- No games.
- Includes: basketball, soccer, volleyball, and wrestling.
- 10 participant limit.
- Low and medium contact sports.
- Games and leagues permitted.
- Includes: tumbling and gymnastics.
- 25 participant limit in gyms.
- Read our permitting guidelines.
- High contact sports
- Parks & Rec’s trails are open. Please follow these guidelines:
- Keep six feet of space between you and other trail users.
- Be sure to wear a mask when you are less than six feet from others.
- Biking or running? Please signal from behind to give all trail users space.
- Explore a new trail! Use our trails web map.
- Read our trail regulations.