What we do
The Law Department acts as general legal counsel for the entire City government structure. We:
• Represent the City and its officials and employees in all litigation.
• Negotiate, draft, and approve City contracts.
• Collect unpaid taxes, fines, and other debts.
• Advise the City on matters of regulatory compliance.
• Represent the City in child welfare and health matters.
• Prepare legislation for introduction in City Council.
We employ more than 300 public servants, including over 215 attorneys and 100 professional staff. The department is led by the city solicitor, whom the Mayor appoints with the advice and consent of City Council. Our mission is to serve the residents of Philadelphia by providing legal counsel of the highest quality to all City officials, employees, departments, agencies, boards, and commissions. Our office proudly celebrates the rich diversity of our staff, the City’s workforce, and the residents whom we serve.
1515 Arch St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Phone: (215) 683-5001