Sign In
City of Philadelphia

Filing A Complaint

Fair Housing Comission staff is available to assist you in filing your complaint.
When you visit the Fair Housing Commission, please have the following documents with you:
  • A copy of your lease;
  • Rent receipts or proof of a Rent Withholding Account or Escrow Account for the Last 3 months, if applicable;
  • All written documents between you and your landlord, including: letters or e-mails; receipts for repairs that you made;
  • Utility bills, if applicable;
  • Certified postal receipts, if applicable.
  • License & Inspections 6-digit Service File Number (call 215-686-2463), if applicable.
At the office, you will speak with someone from our intake staff. If your case is accepted, you will be asked to sign a formal complaint. You and your landlord will receive a copy of the formal complaint, as well as a hearing notice (the date and time that you are to appear before the Commissioners) by mail.

If your case proceeds to a hearing, the Commissioners will listen to testimony from both the tenant and the landlord. Both sides can present evidence, such as letters and receipts, as well as witness testimony. The tenant and the landlord may have an attorney present, if they choose. After both sides have presented their case, the Commissioners will decide if an unfair rental practice occurred. The Commissioners will then issue an Order based on the evidence presented at the hearing.

Get Started


Unfortunately, not all complaints can be accepted by the Commission. Some actions by your landlord may be unfair and possibly illegal, but they may not be considered unfair rental practices under the Fair Housing Ordinance.

Contact Us

601 Walnut Street
Suite 300 South
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Phone: 215-686-4670
Fax: 215-686-4684