SEARCH  
PhILS banner
Series banner

City Architect;
City Architecture, Department of

[Record Group 67]

67.1 City Architect. Annual Reports
1921, 1922
2 volumes, index
For other Annual Reports between 1920-1938, see Record Series 60.1
Location: City Archives, 3101 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
67.2 City Architect's Scrapbook
1920-ca. 1939
1 volume
Includes a list of City Architects, 1904-1939, with dates of appointment and separation, and clippings from newspapers and extracts of clippings on the following topics: biographical information about holders of the office, Independence Hall, zoning, housing, public construction, cabinet appointments, the City budget, city planning, and the Sesquicentennial Exposition.
Location: City Archives, 3101 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
67.3 Department of City Architecture. Building Specifications
1949
3 volumes,
Include specifications for the following buildings:
Youth Study Center and addenda, prepared by Carroll, Grisdale and Van Alen, Registered Architects (2 vols.) 1949
Branch Library Building to be erected on the corner of Castor Avenue and Stirling Street, prepared by Sidney E. Martin, Registered Architect, and Harry G. Stewart, Associate, 1949. This library is now known as the Bushrod Library. Each set of specifications includes a list of drawings, general and specific conditions of contract, instructions or notice to bidders, specifics regarding workmanship and materials.
For similar records, 1906, 1911-1912, 1915-1919, see Department of City Property, Building Specifications.
For similar records, 1952, 1955, see Department of Public Property, Building Specifications.

Location: City Archives, 3101 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
67.4 Construction Plans, Philadelphia Municipal (John F. Kennedy) Stadium
June 2, 1925
34 plans,
The construction of the Stadium was authorized by City Council in an ordinance approved March 3, 1925. The plans, prepared by the firm of Simon and Simon, Architects, show superstructure of the Stadium and foundation construction, excavation, concrete piling, and pile capping, and include details of beams and columns, bracing, pylons, retaining walls, seating decks, entrances, turnstiles and box rails, press boxes and dugout, offices, toilets, towers, signs and lighting fixtures, lockers, boiler rooms, boxes, the concourse, and walks. Scale varies. Each plan also includes architect's address, signatures of City Architect and Director of Public Works, initials of people who drew, checked, and approved plans, and commission number.
Location: City Archives, 3101 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
67.5 City Hall Drawings and Plans
1920-1951
128 plans, index
Drawings of office plans, office decorations, furniture, entrances, elevators, foundation walls, electrical plans, electrical signs, ducts, gas and electric lights, ventilation plans, heating sustem plans, etc. Includes drawings prepared by Walter Antrim, William S. Covell, John Molitor, Joseph A. Roletter, John P. B. Sinkler, Walter H. Thomas and Georgina Yeatman, City Architects, and by Sydney Jelinek and Philip Johnson.
Plans include whiteprints and drawings made on linen, paper and tissue. Sizes of plans range from 5 7/8" x 3 7/8" to 49 1/4" x 31" and are of varying scales.
For similar records see the following:
Commissioners for the Erection of the Public Buildings, Drawings and Plans(1871-1901)
City Architect, City Hall Drawings & Plans (1901-1918)
Department of City Transit, Plans (1916-1928)
Electrical Bureau, Drawings & Plans (1923-1924)
Department of City Property, City Hall, Drawings & Plans (1934)
Public Buildings Commission, City Hall Floor Plans(1953). Department of Public Property, Division of Architecture & Engineering, Drawings & Plans (1952-1972)
Department of Public Property, Electrical Bureau, Plans (1955-1958)

Location: City Archives, 3101 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Click on a folder or file to return to that level...
PhILS Home
City Agencies
City Architect;
City Architecture, Department of
[67]
Record Series Information Sheet. (Text-only version of this page)

Send your comments to phils@phila.gov
Last updated on October 27, 1998