SEARCH  
PhILS banner
Series banner

Department of Exhibits

[Record Group 232-4-6]

232-4-6.1 Correspondence and Files
1926
4 items, no index
Includes 3 autographed copies of the Official Classification of Exhibit Departmentswith annotations of exposition officers such as cross-references indicating groupings of the various classifications. Additionally, this series contains a 12-page leaflet, Information Booklet for Exhibitors in the Machinery, Mines, Metallurgy, Transportation and Automotive Departments of the Sesqui-Centennial International Exposition... Philadelphia, June 1 to December 1, 1926 describing the principal exhibits.
Location: City Archives, 3101 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Shelf list is available.
232-4-6.2 Division of Education and Social Economy (Including Religion)
May 1925-September 1929
41 folders, no index
Contains the papers of Joseph R. Wilson, Esq., director of the Department of Education and Social Economy (including Religion). It also contains the records of the Department of Education and Social Economy and Foreign Participation from May-October 1927 when Wilson replaced the late Department of Foreign Participation head, Capt. A. C. Baker. The files contain Wilson's correspondence, clippings, programs, and printed matter focusing on the presentation of educational and social issues at the Sesqui-Centennial exposition including such areas as schools and universities, progress in education for the blind and deaf, and religion and religious groups; information about Wilson's work in coordinating foreign participation at the Sesqui-Centennial exposition from June-November 1926; and his role as Sesqui-Centennial historian from his appointment to that post in May 1926 through February 1927. Wilson, director of Philadelphia's Commercial Museum, collected various informative material for the history of the exposition. Especially useful are a set of transcripts of speeches delivered by Mayor Kendrick and other officials at the Sesqui-Centennial and press releases regarding the Sesqui-Centennial exposition issued by the Mayor's office. Wilson's files also contain a typescript of "Important Events of History of American Colonies and U.S.A. to 1920" compiled by an unidentified "P.A.C." in preparation for the exposition, programs, and other items which Wilson was collecting for use in the history.

Files dealing specifically with Wilson's work in coordinating foreign participation at the exposition have been filed in with the records of the Department of Foreign Participation, "Correspondence with Foreign Countries."
Location: City Archives, 3101 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Shelf list is available.


232-4-6.3 Fine Arts Division - Catalog
1926
1 volume, index
The Illustrated Catalogue, Department of Fine Arts, Sesqui-Centennial International Exposition, Philadelphia, 1926 (122 pages) includes black-and-white illustrations of a number of works displayed.
Location: City Archives, 3101 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
232-4-6.4 Jury of Awards - Awards Lists
1926-1929
5 folders, no index
Original copy of the list of awards presented to exhibitors at the Sesqui-Centennial exposition, a carbon copy used in producing the official published history, and several special lists of awards.
Location: City Archives, 3101 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Shelf list is available.
232-4-6.5 Sales Division
1925-1926
5 folders, no index
These files contain miscellaneous items pertaining to the work of the Sales Division, Department of Exhibits, in promoting the sale of exhibit space to prospective exhibitors. Of special interest is a prospectus compiled c. March-April 1926 with photos of buildings under construction and other information designed to promote the sale of display space.
Location: City Archives, 3101 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Shelf list is available.
Click on a folder or file to return to that level...
PhILS Home
City Agencies
Department of Exhibits [232-4-6]
Record Series Information Sheet. (Text-only version of this page)

Send your comments to phils@phila.gov
Last updated on October 28, 1998