What we do
As part of the Department of Planning and Development, the Philadelphia Historical Commission protects the City’s historic resources. Together with its advisory committees, the commission:
- Identifies and designates historic landmarks.
- Maintains the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.
- Hosts public meetings about historic properties.
- Works with property owners to protect landmarks.
The commission staff reviews building permit applications and nominations to the register. When needed, they forward applications to the appropriate committee. The staff:
- Approves over 90% of building permit applications without referral to a committee.
- Informs the public about the commission’s rules and processes.
- Gives advice on preservation techniques.
- Helps the public research the history of their properties.
Nov30EventHistorical Commission Committee on Historic Designation meeting9:30 am to 3:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission Committee on Historic Designation meetingNovember 30, 20229:30 am to 3:00 pm, 6 hoursOnline via ZoommapThe Committee on Historic Designation will meet remotely at 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, November 30, 2022 using Zoom Webinar videoconferencing technology to review the nomination, amendment, or rescission request.
Owners, their representatives, and the public may participate in the meeting in three ways: live with a computer, tablet, or smartphone; live with a telephone; and in advance by email.
To join with a device, go to this website on November 30.
o join with a telephone, call this number on November 30.
Telephone Number: 301-715-8592
Webinar ID: 882 9719 0757#
Participant ID #
To email comments, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on November 29.
Dec9EventHistorical Commission monthly meeting9:00 am to 2:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission monthly meetingDecember 9, 20229:00 am to 2:00 pm, 5 hoursOnline via Zoommap
Dec20EventHistorical Commission Architectural Committee meeting9:00 am to 12:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission Architectural Committee meetingDecember 20, 20229:00 am to 12:00 pm, 3 hoursOnline via Zoommap