Notice: The Historical Commission offices are not yet open for walk-ins. Plan reviews are available via eCLIPSE or by scheduling an in-person appointment. To learn how to participate in our remote meetings, see our public meetings page.
What we do
As part of the Department of Planning and Development, the Philadelphia Historical Commission protects the City’s historic resources. Together with its advisory committees, the commission:
- Identifies and designates historic landmarks.
- Maintains the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.
- Hosts public meetings about historic properties.
- Works with property owners to protect landmarks.
The commission staff reviews building permit applications and nominations to the register. When needed, they forward applications to the appropriate committee. The staff:
- Approves over 90% of building permit applications without referral to a committee.
- Informs the public about the commission’s rules and processes.
- Gives advice on preservation techniques.
- Helps the public research the history of their properties.
1515 Arch St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Phone: (215) 686-7660
TTY: (215) 683-0286
Get updates from the Historical Commission
Sign up to receive email updates from the Historical Commission.
Mar28EventHistorical Commission Architectural Committee meeting9:00 am to 12:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission Architectural Committee meetingMarch 28, 20239:00 am to 12:00 pm, 3 hoursOnline via Zoommap
Apr14EventHistorical Commission monthly meeting9:00 am to 2:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission monthly meetingApril 14, 20239:00 am to 2:00 pm, 5 hoursOnline via Zoommap
Apr19EventHistorical Commission Committee on Historic Designation meeting9:30 am to 12:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission Committee on Historic Designation meetingApril 19, 20239:30 am to 12:00 pm, 3 hoursOnline via Zoommap
View the register to find historically designated properties in Philadelphia.
Explore an interactive map of properties and districts that appear on the register.
Read the rules and ordinance that govern the work of the Historical Commission.