What we do
As part of the Department of Planning and Development, the Philadelphia Historical Commission protects the City’s historic resources. Together with its advisory committees, the commission:
- Identifies and designates historic landmarks.
- Maintains the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.
- Hosts public meetings about historic properties.
- Works with property owners to protect landmarks.
The commission staff reviews building permit applications and nominations to the register. When needed, they forward applications to the appropriate committee. The staff:
- Approves over 90% of building permit applications without referral to a committee.
- Informs the public about the commission’s rules and processes.
- Gives advice on preservation techniques.
- Helps the public research the history of their properties.
Aug23EventHistorical Commission Architectural Committee meeting9:00 am to 11:00 amOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission Architectural Committee meetingAugust 23, 20229:00 am to 11:00 am, 2 hoursOnline via ZoommapApplicants and the public may participate in the meeting in three ways: live with a computer, tablet, or smartphone; live with a telephone; and in advance by email.
To join with a device, go to this website or scan the QR code on August 23.
To join with a telephone, call this number on August 23.
Telephone Number: 301-715-8592
Webinar ID: 875 5239 6139#
Participant ID #
To email comments, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on August 22.
Sep9EventHistorical Commission monthly meeting9:00 am to 2:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission monthly meetingSeptember 9, 20229:00 am to 2:00 pm, 5 hoursOnline via Zoommap
Sep21EventHistorical Commission Committee on Historic Designation meeting9:30 am to 1:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission Committee on Historic Designation meetingSeptember 21, 20229:30 am to 1:00 pm, 4 hoursOnline via Zoommap