What we do
As part of the Department of Planning and Development, the Philadelphia Historical Commission protects the City’s historic resources. Together with its advisory committees, the commission:
- Identifies and designates historic landmarks.
- Maintains the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.
- Hosts public meetings about historic properties.
- Works with property owners to protect landmarks.
The commission staff reviews building permit applications and nominations to the register. When needed, they forward applications to the appropriate committee. The staff:
- Approves over 90% of building permit applications without referral to a committee.
- Informs the public about the commission’s rules and processes.
- Gives advice on preservation techniques.
- Helps the public research the history of their properties.
Oct4EventHistorical Commission Committee on Financial Hardship meeting1:00 pm to 4:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission Committee on Financial Hardship meetingOctober 4, 20221:00 pm to 4:00 pm, 3 hoursOnline via ZoommapApplicants and the public may participate in the meeting in three ways: live with a computer, tablet, orsmartphone; live with a telephone; and in advance by email.
To join with a device, go to this website onOctober 4.
To join with a telephone, call this number on October 4.
Telephone Number: 301-715-8592
Webinar ID: 879 6731 2725#
Participant ID #
To email comments, send them to email@example.com bynoon on October 3.
Oct14EventHistorical Commission monthly meeting9:00 am to 2:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission monthly meetingOctober 14, 20229:00 am to 2:00 pm, 5 hoursOnline via Zoommap
Oct19EventHistorical Commission Committee on Historic Designation meeting9:30 am to 1:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission Committee on Historic Designation meetingOctober 19, 20229:30 am to 1:00 pm, 4 hoursOnline via Zoommap