What we do
As part of the Department of Planning and Development, the Philadelphia Historical Commission protects the City’s historic resources. Together with its advisory committees, the commission:
- Identifies and designates historic landmarks.
- Maintains the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.
- Hosts public meetings about historic properties.
- Works with property owners to protect landmarks.
The commission staff reviews building permit applications and nominations to the register. When needed, they forward applications to the appropriate committee. The staff:
- Approves over 90% of building permit applications without referral to a committee.
- Informs the public about the commission’s rules and processes.
- Gives advice on preservation techniques.
- Helps the public research the history of their properties.
Dec9EventHistorical Commission monthly meeting9:00 am to 2:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission monthly meetingDecember 9, 20229:00 am to 2:00 pm, 5 hoursOnline via Zoommap
Dec20EventHistorical Commission Architectural Committee meeting9:00 am to 12:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission Architectural Committee meetingDecember 20, 20229:00 am to 12:00 pm, 3 hoursOnline via Zoommap
Jan13EventHistorical Commission monthly meeting9:00 am to 2:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission monthly meetingJanuary 13, 20239:00 am to 2:00 pm, 5 hoursOnline via Zoommap