What we do
As part of the Department of Planning and Development, the Philadelphia Historical Commission protects the City’s historic resources. Together with its advisory committees, the commission:
- Identifies and designates historic landmarks.
- Maintains the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.
- Hosts public meetings about historic properties.
- Works with property owners to protect landmarks.
The commission staff reviews building permit applications and nominations to the register. When needed, they forward applications to the appropriate committee. The staff:
- Approves over 90% of building permit applications without referral to a committee.
- Informs the public about the commission’s rules and processes.
- Gives advice on preservation techniques.
- Helps the public research the history of their properties.
Oct9EventHistorical Commission monthly meeting9:00 am to 5:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission monthly meetingOctober 9, 20209:00 am to 5:00 pm, 8 hoursOnline via Zoommap
Oct21EventHistorical Commission Committee on Historic Designation meeting9:30 am to 12:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission Committee on Historic Designation meetingOctober 21, 20209:30 am to 12:00 pm, 3 hoursOnline via ZoommapThe Committee on Historic Designation meets in Room 18-029 of 1515 Arch Street.
Oct27EventHistorical Commission Architectural Committee meeting9:00 am to 12:00 pmOnline via ZoomEvent
Historical Commission Architectural Committee meetingOctober 27, 20209:00 am to 12:00 pm, 3 hoursOnline via Zoommap
|Name||Job title||Phone #||Social|
|Kim Chantry||Historic Preservation Planner IIIfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Laura DiPasquale||Historic Preservation Planner IIemail@example.com|
|Jon Farnham||Executive Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Shannon Garrison||Historic Preservation Planner Iemail@example.com|
|Meredith Keller||Historic Preservation Planner IIfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Allyson Mehley||Historic Preservation Planner IIemail@example.com|
|Megan Cross Schmitt||Historic Preservation Planner IIfirstname.lastname@example.org|