The City’s annual leaf recycling program is provided by the Streets Department. Recycling leaves reduces the amount of materials that reach the waste stream and saves landfill space. Mechanical collection and bagged drop-off services are provided.
The 2021 program begins runs through Saturday, December 18.
Bagged Leaf Drop-Off
Bagged Leaf Drop-Off is offered citywide on Saturdays at 13 locations from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Only bagged leaves and yard waste will be accepted, no household rubbish.
Bagged leaf drop-off dates:
- Saturday, November 20
- Saturday, December 4
- Saturday, December 11
- Saturday, December 18
Bagged leaf drop-off collection tips:
- Residents must place leaves in large brown biodegradable paper bags. Using these bags helps eliminate the extensive process of ripping open, dumping, and disposing of plastic bags. Bags can be purchased at your local hardware store.
- Never mix trash or other recyclable materials with bagged leaves. This contaminates leaves and makes them unfit for recycling purposes.
Mechanical leaf collection
Mechanical leaf collection is provided as a supplement to bagged collections in areas identified as having heavy accumulations of leaves. This service is offered on a designated weekly schedule.
2021 mechanical leaf collection schedule:
- Oak Lane & Frankford: November 8—12
- West & South: November 15—19
- Northeast: November 22— December 3
- Northwest: December 6—17
Mechanical leaf collection tips:
- All leaves should be raked (un-bagged) and ready for collection by 7 a.m. the day of mechanical collection. Rake leaves to the street by the curb’s edge (piling is not necessary).
- If possible, move your vehicle to an off-street parking location on your scheduled collection day, so crews can remove leaves along the curb line.
- Residents in mechanical areas can also drop-off bagged leaves by leaving them at the curb.