The Building Energy Performance Program (BEPP) – more commonly referred to as “Building Tune-ups” – aims to achieve efficient energy and water use in the largest non-residential buildings in Philadelphia. Like cars, buildings need occasional tune-ups to keep them running smoothly and efficiently. A building tune-up requires a review of energy systems and controls and minor tweaks to bring the building up to a good state of performance. On average, these tweaks result in 10-15% annual energy savings for a building. They also provide a more comfortable space for tenants.

Non-residential buildings with at least 50,000 square feet of indoor floor space must comply with the policy.

Compliance Extension

The Office of Sustainability has submitted proposed updates to the existing regulations, which have been posted for public review. The changes include:

  • Adjusting the Compliance Deadline for buildings of at least 200,000 square feet to September 30, 2022. All subsequent Compliance Deadlines will remain the same.
  • Including “Extensive Portfolio Owners” for building owners with 50 or more Covered Buildings and allowing Extensive Portfolio Owners to submit a Compliance Plan that spreads out individual building compliance over the span of 10 years.
  • Adjusting language around acceptable reporting years in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager for high performance pathways.

The regulations are open for public comment for 30 days. A hearing can be requested to receive public comment on the regulations.

Adjusted Timeline

  • September 30, 2021: Voluntary tune-up report deadline.
  • January 3, 2022: Updated alternative compliance plans for large portfolios are due.
  • April 4, 2022: Deadline for certifying high performance, requesting an alternative exemption, and making extension requests for buildings over 200,000 sq. ft. AND buildings over 100,000 sq. ft.
  • September 30, 2022: Tune-up report deadline for buildings over 200,000 sq. ft. AND buildings over 100,000 sq. ft. Tune-up specialists submitting 2022 reports must be certified by this date.
  • View all future deadlines here.

Tune-up Specialists

If conducting tune-ups, building owners must hire approved tune-up specialists to lead their building system assessments and sign off on tune-up reports. To be approved, tune-up specialists must:

  • Have a Professional Engineer (PE) or Certified Energy Manager (CEM) license.
  • Have seven years of related education and experience.
  • Submit an application to the Office of Sustainability.

Approved specialists can grant the Office of Sustainability permission to list their companies as a Qualified Tune-Up Specialist in The Hub, Green Building United’s database of service providers. Participation in this list does not constitute or imply endorsement, recommendation, or preference by the City of Philadelphia or any of its partners.