The heavy rain and high winds of Tropical Storm Isaias caused flooding and power outages in the City. Below you can find the latest information on the City’s response along with resources available to help as you recover from the severe storm.

Text STORMPHL to 888-777 to receive free severe storm updates. To receive weather alerts, emergency information, and other important news, text READYPHILA to 888-777.

Helpful links and resources

Damage assessment survey.

To help the city understand the extent of damage caused by Tropical Storm Isaias and to see where resources and recovery assistance may be needed, we’re asking anyone impacted by this severe storm to answer a short survey and include any photos they may have into our damage assessment tool.

Report flooding.

Your information will help the City better address flooding in your community.

To report flooding in the community, take photos and submit them through this form.

Report drinking water quality issues.

Residents who experience discolored water after flooding should call (215) 685-6300 right away so an inspector call can investigate.

Report clogged inlets.

PWD crews worked to clear stormdrains of mud and debris after the flooding from Isaias, but if residents believe any local inlets are not draining properly, the should report the exact location by calling (215) 685-6300.

Flood Guide. 

The Citywide Flood Risk Management Taskforce created this flooding guide to provide information about preparing for flooding and what to do if you experience flooding.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Disaster Recovery

Who do I contact for financial assistance? 

  • I have renter’s/owner’s insurance

Contact your insurance company as soon as possible. Please note that flood damage is not typically covered by typical insurance policies: Flood insurance is a separate policy/rider. Ask who you should talk to about cleaning up your home. Document damage by taking pictures, if the area is safe. Consider making a list of all the items damaged. Save all receipts for any money spent during recovery 

  • I do not have renter’s/owner’s insurance

Please call 1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767). At this time, no federal or state disaster assistance is available, but this may change.  

  • Flood Insurance

Consider buying a Flood Insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). More information can be found at 

Who can I have help clean up the damage? 

If you have insurance, contact your insurance company to ask about recommended contractors/water damage restoration companies 

Repairs may first require obtaining a permit from the City. Visit the following website to ensure that the contractor you hire is licensed: 

If L&I has determined that your property is unsafe or imminently dangerous, see question 8 below. 

Before hiring any contractor, you should research the contractor – including checking multiple references, searching the internet, and contacting the Better Business Bureau – to ensure that the contractor is competent and honest: 

Crisis Cleanup will be volunteering in the area until August 28thTo request services from Crisis Cleanup, please call 844-965-1386. Crisis Cleanup assistance is free to all residents. Crisis Cleanup is staffed by volunteers, so service is based upon volunteer availability.  If you are a renter, you will need to coordinate this request with your landlord. For more information on Crisis Cleanup please visit this link 

Was there impact from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)  Superfund Site in close proximity to the flooding?

According to the EPA, they continue to assess the impacts of Tropical Storm Isaias on the Clearview Landfill, which is part of the Lower Darby Creek Area Superfund Site. The portions of the landfill where construction of the cap has been completed, which includes some of the streambank and much of the Eastwick Regional City park, are undamaged.  Some areas which were in the process of completing remediation and flooded did experience some damage and sediment deposition from flood waters.

During and after flooding from Isaias, EPA collected surface water samples from the creek and residential areas.  EPA is awaiting the results of the sampling and expects that some preliminary results will be available by the end of August.  These results will be made publicly available.  EPA and its contractors are continuing to evaluate damage to yards that were previously addressed as part of the landfill remediation. Repairs are being made to damaged areas on the site and in previously remediated residential yards.  EPA will be collecting soil samples from residential areas to determine if there was any impact to soil from the floodwaters.

Find more information about the location on the EPA’s website.  For questions about the site, please contact Josh Barber, EPA Remedial Project Manager at (267) 541-9558 or or Gina Soscia, EPA Community Involvement Coordinator at (215) 814-5538 or

My house is flooded, but I have nowhere to goHow do I get lodging? 

Please reach out to the Red Cross hotline1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767).  

The Office of Homeless Services (OHS) may be able to assist. They can be contacted at 215-686-4700, Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm.  

Where can I get meals? 

Please call 311, which has a variety of resources they can refer you to. 

Call the WhyHunger hotline at 1-800-5HUNGRY or visit the WhyHunger website. 

Text your ZIP code to 1-800-548-6479 to receive a list of food pantries near you. 

Call The United Way at 211 or 215-665-2500, for additional supports including food assistance.  

City-supported public food sites can be found by visiting 

Where can I get help for my pet? 

Include pets in everyday emergency plans. Let neighbors know what pets you have and where they like to hide. If there is an emergency, your neighbors can let first-responders know who to look for and where to find them. 

If you have to shelter-in-place, have 72 hours of food and water in your emergency kit for them as well. If you need to evacuate, pets are welcome onboard City transport vehicles and City-operated shelters. 

I do not have important items with me 

  • How do I get paper documentation such as license or proof of ID? 

PennDOT provides replacement of destroyed vehicle titles, driver’s licenses and vehicle registration cards following a disaster. Please call 800-932-4600 or visit 

You can request a replacement Social Security card online at 

The PA Department of Health provides copies of birth and death certificates. A state declaration is required for fees to be waived. Please call 717-772-3480 or visit 

  • How do I get medications?

Contact your pharmacy to ask about an emergency refill. If you have a Medicare drug plan, your plan may cover replacement medicine. When leaving your home, please remember to bring any medications you have and copies of your prescriptions.  

What assessments are L&I doing?   

Inspectors from the City’s Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) have visited properties  affected by flooding to assess the condition of buildings including the electrical and mechanical (e.g. heaters and furnaces) systems. Systems that have been immersed in water are most likely unable and/or unsafe to operate and will need to be replaced.  

The utilities (gas, water, and electric) in my building are not working. What do I need to do to have them turned on? 

If the structure has been posted as Imminently Dangerous or Unsafe, the utilities will not be turned on until the building is safe to reenter.  

If the building is safe to reenter, you must call the utility companies to have them turn on service. The utilities must be able to enter the structure in order to turn on the service.  

To have your utilities turned on or for other utilities questions, call:   

  • Water & Sewer – Philadelphia Water Department (215) 685-6300 
  • Electricity – PECO (1-800494-4000 (7am-7pm, Monday-Friday)   
  • Gas – PGW (215) 235-1000 (8am-6pm) 
  • Steam – Veolia (215) 875-6900 x 5872 / 5873 

Where can I look for updates? 

For storm and recovery related updates, please text STORMPHL to 888-777.  

Where can I access legal services? 

Community Legal Services (CLS) offers attorney support for housing, public benefits, employment, and many other areas. They can be reached at 215-981-3700 or  

What mental health supports are available? 

If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health emergency, the 24/7 Suicide Crisis & Intervention phone number is 1-800-273-855, or text “HOME” to 741741.  

The Department of Behavioral Health and Intellectual disAbility Services (DBHIDS) operates a free, 24/7 Mental Health Delegate phone number. Delegates can assist with information, guidance, and referrals for your and your family. They can be reached at 215-685-6440.   

Additionally, you can learn more about Mental Health First aid and get free mental health screening by visiting 

I borrowed tools from CLIP. When can I return them? 

Please return all borrowed tools on Friday, August 14th between 12pm-2pm. 

How can I receive financial assistance from Federal agencies like FEMA? 

The process for determining federal assistance is complicated. Local government responds and reports back to state and federal agencies. The size and scale of a disaster determine the potential resources that local governments, businesses, and individuals receive for recovery. If a disaster is federally declared, not every impacted individual will qualify for assistance. The average amount of money a household receives through FEMA’s Individual Assistance Program is between $3,000 and $4,000. OEM has submitted initial damage reports to the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA) and continues to work with our local, state, and federal partners to maximize the financial resources impacted individuals and households may receive.  


Preguntas frecuentes sobre la recuperación después de desastres

¿Con quién debo comunicarme para obtener asistencia financiera?Tengo un seguro de alquiler/propietario
Contáctese con su compañía de seguros lo más pronto posible. Tenga en cuenta que los daños por inundaciones no suelen estar cubiertos por las típicas pólizas de seguros: El seguro contra inundaciones es una póliza o una cláusula adicional. Pregunte con quién debería hablar sobre la reparación de su vivienda. Si el área es segura, documente los daños tomando fotografías. Le recomendamos hacer una lista de todos los artículos dañados. Guarde todos los recibos de cualquier dinero que haya gastado durante la recuperación.

No tengo un seguro de alquiler/propietario
Llame al 1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767). En este momento, no hay asistencia federal o estatal para desastres disponible, pero esto puede cambiar.

Seguro contra inundaciones
Considere la posibilidad de contratar una póliza de seguro contra inundaciones a través del Programa Nacional de Seguros contra Inundaciones (NFIP, por su sigla en inglés). Puede encontrar más información en el sitio web del seguro contra inundaciones de FEMA.

¿A quién puedo pedir ayuda para arreglar los daños?
Si tiene seguro, contáctese con su compañía de seguros para preguntar sobre contratistas recomendados o compañías de restauración de daños causados por inundaciones.
Las reparaciones pueden requerir primero la obtención de un permiso de la ciudad. Visite el sitio web de la ciudad para asegurarse de que el contratista que contrata está autorizado.
Si el Departamento de Licencias e Inspecciones (L&I) ha determinado que su propiedad es insegura o presenta un riesgo inminente, vea el número 8a a continuación.
Antes de contratar a un contratista, debe investigarlo, lo que incluye comprobar múltiples referencias, buscar en Internet y contactar a la Oficina de Buenas Prácticas Comerciales (Better Business Bureau) para asegurarse de que el contratista es competente y honesto.

Mi vivienda está inundada, pero no tengo adónde ir. ¿Cómo consigo alojamiento?
Comuníquese con la línea de la Cruz Roja: 1-800-REDCROSS (1-800-733-2767).

¿Dónde puedo conseguir comida?
Llame al 311, que tiene una variedad de recursos a los que pueden derivarlo.
Llame a la línea directa de WhyHunger al 1-800-5HUNGRY o visite el sitio web de WhyHunger.
Envíe su código postal por mensaje de texto al 1-800-548-6479 para recibir una lista de bancos de alimentos cerca de usted.
Llame a The United Way al 211 o al 215-665-2500 si necesita ayuda adicional, incluso asistencia alimentaria.
Puede encontrar una lista de lugares públicos respaldados por la ciudad que ofrecen alimentos en el sitio web

sobre alimentos de la ciudad.¿Dónde puedo obtener ayuda para mi mascota?
Incluya a las mascotas en los planes de emergencia cotidianos. Dígales a sus vecinos qué mascotas tiene y dónde les gusta esconderse. Si hay una emergencia, sus vecinos pueden indicarles a los socorristas a quiénes buscar y dónde encontrarlas.
Si tiene que refugiarse en el lugar, disponga de comida y agua para 72 horas en su kit de emergencia para ellas también. Si necesita evacuar, las mascotas son bienvenidas a bordo de los vehículos de transporte de la ciudad y de los refugios operados por la ciudad.

No tengo cosas importantes conmigo. ¿Cómo obtengo documentación en papel, como mi licencia o un documento de identidad?
El Departamento de Transporte de Pensilvania se encarga de reemplazar los títulos de los vehículos, las licencias de conducir y las tarjetas de registro de los vehículos que quedaron destruidos después de un desastre. Llame al 800-932-4600 o visite
Puede solicitar un reemplazo de la tarjeta del Seguro Social en línea.
El Departamento de Salud de Pensilvania proporciona copias de los certificados de nacimiento y de defunción. Se requiere una declaración del Estado para que no se cobren las tarifas. Llame al 717-772-3480 o visite en línea.

¿Cómo consigo medicamentos?
Contáctese con su farmacia para preguntar sobre un resurtido de emergencia. Si tiene un plan de medicamentos de Medicare, su plan puede cubrir los medicamentos de reemplazo. Cuando se vaya de su casa, recuerde llevarse todos los medicamentos que tenga y copias de las recetas.

¿Qué evaluaciones está haciendo el Departamento de Licencias e Inspecciones?
Los inspectores del Departamento de Licencias e Inspecciones de la ciudad (L+I) están visitando las propiedades en los bloques más afectados por las inundaciones para evaluar el estado de los sistemas eléctricos y mecánicos (p. ej., calefactores y calderas). Es muy probable que los sistemas que han quedado sumergidos en el agua no puedan operarse o sean peligrosos y tengan que ser reemplazados.

Los servicios públicos (gas, agua y electricidad) de mi edificio no funcionan. ¿Qué tengo que hacer para que los activen?
Si se ha determinado que la estructura es insegura o presenta un riesgo inminente, los servicios públicos no se activarán hasta que sea seguro volver a ingresar en el edificio.
Si es seguro volver a ingresar en el edificio, debe llamar a las compañías de servicios públicos para que activen los servicios.
Las empresas de servicios públicos deben poder entrar en las instalaciones para activar los servicios.
Para que le activen los servicios públicos o para otras preguntas sobre servicios públicos, llame a los siguientes números:
Agua y alcantarillado: Departamento de Agua de Filadelfia, (215) 685-6300
Electricidad: PECO, (1-800) 494-4000 (lunes a viernes, de 7 a. m. a 7 p. m.)
Gas: PGW, (215) 235-1000 (8 a. m. a 6 p. m.)
Vapor: Veolia, (215) 875-6900 x 5872 / 5873

¿Dónde puedo buscar información actualizada?
Puede registrarse para recibir alertas gratuitas específicas sobre tormentas por mensaje de texto enviando STORMPHL al 888-777. Si desea recibir alertas generales de la ciudad, regístrese para recibir las alertas de ReadyPhiladelphia ingresando en nuestro sitio web.   En el sitio web, puede personalizar las alertas para las cuales se registra. Hay más de 12 tipos de alertas, incluidas alertas del clima, alertas de información sobre el tráfico, alertas de inundaciones, etc.

Rolling Updates

September 15, 2020

OEM staff will open an information center tomorrow, September 16th, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., to hear your questions and concerns regarding Isaias storm recovery. Penrose Elementary School, 2515 South 78th Street in Southwest Philadelphia.

September 14, 2020

Eastwick residents, if you have questions or need help filling out the damage assessment form, please visit us at Penrose Elementary School from 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. tomorrow, Tuesday the 15th.

September 14, 2020

From today’s City of Philadelphia COVID-19 press release:

Tropical Storm Isaias Damage Assessment Survey: Due to the impact of COVID-19, FEMA and PEMA are unable to do in-person damage assessment of property that was affected by the severe storm on August 4. To see if Philadelphia is eligible for any assistance, the City’s Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is collecting information through a short online survey available at The survey is for all properties—commercial and residential. The deadline to submit information is this Wednesday, September 16. OEM explained more about the process in a Twitter video.

September 10, 2020

Need help with the damage survey website or have questions? Visit OEM at Penrose Elementary School at 2515 South 78th Street tomorrow from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Deadline to submit damage information is September 16th.

September 6, 2020

We Need your Help!

Staff from OEM canvassed the neighborhood of Eastwick affected by last month’s Tropical Storm Isaias to get important information on individual’s property damage.

OEM workers went door to door passing out postcards with a link where residents can report damage and submit pictures showing water lines, and additional water damage to the home.

Hear from Deputy Director Dominick Mireles on the continuing work of OEM and the importance of the damage survey

The residents are asked to identify their damaged, the cost, how much is uninsured, the height of water line, and what stories of the home were flooded.

The information gathered will help OEM make the case in the next step of this process in applying to PEMA and FEMA for financial assistance.

September 3, 2020

The Office of Emergency Management is still collecting storm damage reports from Tropical Storm Isaias to see what assistance may be available to residents and businesses.

We’ve made a flyer which we will distribute in the Eastwick community to help explain what is needed. Even if you do not receive a flyer nor live in Eastwick, we want to hear from you about the damage your property sustained.

The deadline to submit your details is September 16th.

As an update on the damage assessment process, a Preliminary Damage Assessment to determine the areas and extent of damage was started August 5th. City agencies surveyed the Eastwick, Manayunk, and the Far Northeast due to flooding from the Cobbs Creek, Schuylkill River, and an EF-1 tornado. All damage observed at that time was submitted to the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency.

Now that PEMA and FEMA have seen the preliminary extent of damage, they are taking a more detailed view to determine what, if any, assistance may be available. This is not a guarantee of help from those agencies, but our next step in the process of seeking assistance.

This is where we need your help! Due to COVID-19, FEMA is limited in conducting in-person assessments. Therefore, an online tool has been made to collect the important information from you.

This secure form will capture the information we need from you right now. Please be as detailed as possible.

  • Make sure to provide contact information so we may follow up with you.
  • Use the map to make sure the pin shows up on your property.
  • Double check that the address in the info box below the map matches your address.
  • Select your property type and whether your losses were insured.
  • Include a description of your damage. If you suffered water damage, tell us how high the water was and whether it was a finished or unfinished space.
  • What was the damage to walls and carpet? Was their damage to your electrical, sewage, or other utilities?
  • Did you lose any appliances, furniture, or other items? If so, what was the value of any items not covered by insurance?
  • For wind damage, include damage to roofs or other structural components of the property.
  • Any uninsured costs that you incurred should be added. If you are a government or private non-profit entity, tell us the type of debris that you removed and how much, measured in Cubic Yards or Tons.
  • Pictures are very important. Include pictures that demonstrate the damage you sustained – particularly to living spaces or utilities. Generally, a good picture shows a water line indicating the height of water inside of the property or shows the full extent of structural damages to your property caused by the storm.

The Office of Emergency Management will be in Eastwick over the next two weeks to help fill out the form. Text “STORMPHL to 888-777” to find out when we will be there. Bring your photos of damage.

You can call Philadelphia’s non-emergency number 3-1-1 to fill out the damage survey over the phone. You can also send questions or comments to


September 1, 2020

We will be at Penrose Elementary this Thursday, September 3rd, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. to help with any questions.

August 20, 2020

Crisis Cleanup, a group of volunteers, is helping residents clean their homes. Call 844-965-1386 to request service if you need help with your property. Assistance is not guaranteed and depends on volunteer availability.

Also, visit us at Penrose Elementary School this afternoon from 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. if you have questions or need assistance.

August 19, 2020

We’re joining Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson at Penrose Elementary School (2515 S. 78th Street) today beginning at 11 a.m. to help provide information, resources, and supplies. Stop by! We’ll be there until 3 p.m.

August 18, 2020

View or listen to Monday’s Virtual Town Hall hosted by Councilmemeber Kenyatta Johnson which featured information from city leadership and partners.

August 18, 2020

Need help? Stop by our information center at Penrose Elementary School today from 4 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. to see what assistance may be available to you.

August 17, 2020

If you need assistance or have questions, please stop by our recovery informaton center located at Penrose Elementary School today from 12 p.m. until 5 p.m.

Don’t forget, join us tonight on Councilmemeber Kenyatta Johnson’s Virtual Town Hall to hear from city officials on response and recovery from Isaias. We want to hear from you!

August 14, 2020

Philadelphia City Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson is hosting a Virtual Town Hall on Monday, August 17th, beginning at 6 p.m.

Joining Councilmember Johnson will be officials from the city and others to discuss Tropical Storm Isaias storm response and recovery in Eastwick.

To participate in the Zoom virtual meeting, go directly to on Monday, August 17th.

If you want to listen only, dial 1-646-876-9923, webinar ID 86530375576, passcode 262357 to enter the meeting.

For more information or updates, follow Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson on Twitter: @CouncilmemberKJ.

August 13, 2020

Our office will be at Penrose Elementary School, 2515 S. 78th Street, from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. tomorrow, August 15th, and Monday, August 18th, to answer questions and provide recovery materials.


August 10, 2020

Final Day for the Eastwick Storm Recovery Information Center

Tuesday, August 11 is the final day for the Eastwick Storm Recovery Information Center. The center will be open 10 AM – 5 PM and is located at Penrose Elementary School, 2515 S. 78th Street.

Office of Emergency Management staff will be joined by Licenses and Inspections Field Teams and Community Life Improvement Program (CLIP) staff. The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will also return to the information center. Southwest residents are encouraged to stop by with any storm recovery related questions and needs.

The Streets Department will continue with multiple daily trash collections in the Eastwick area through Friday.

Residents can also reach the 3-1-1 Call Center with any related questions they may have. The 3-1-1 Call Center is staffed 8 AM – 8 PM Monday thru Friday.


August 10, 2020

Flood Cleanup

As residents continue to recover from the damage left by Tropical Storm Isaias there are many steps residents can take to ensure their safety and future health before their home can be habitable once again.

The Philadelphia Water Department offers many essential tips through a report compiled by Philadelphia’s Citywide Flood Risk Management Task Force for what residents can do after a flood.

Cleaning the Property

  • Remove all standing water by pumping, mopping, and opening clogged drains.
  • If possible, open windows and doors during cleaning and for at least 24 hours after the cleaning to allow surfaces to thoroughly dry and prevent mold. Use fans and/or dehumidifiers to shorten drying times.
  • After turning off the electricity, all wet light fixtures should be cleaned and dried thoroughly before turning the electricity back on.
  • Remove and dispose of all wet ceiling tiles, paper products, baseboards, and gypsum board (also known as dry wall) to a level approximately four feet above the flood water line. Remove wet insulation and materials that absorb water.
  • Wood and metal studs should be wiped with the bleach solution twice and allowed to air dry.
  • Clothing and bedding exposed to flood water should be soaked in clean water to remove any mud, and then washed in hot water. If hot water is not available, add a disinfectant such as bleach to the rinse water. Mattresses or other large items soaked with floodwater will probably have to be discarded. However, if they are made of foam rubber, it may be possible to wash, disinfect and air dry these items.
  • Cabinets and household equipment should first be cleaned with soap and water, then make a disinfecting solution and wipe down all areas touched by the floodwater. Disinfect all contaminated floors and other surfaces and allow them to dry
  • Carpets can be saved by wet vacuuming, shampooing, and taking steps to assure that the carpet is totally dry
  • Discard all medicines and foods in contact with floodwater. Throw out all perishable foods that have been out of refrigeration for more than six hours. Do not refreeze frozen foods that have been thawed.
  • All cooking and eating utensils, food preparation surfaces, counters, and work surfaces that were touched or splashed by floodwater should be washed with soap and water and wiped with a diluted bleach solution.
  • Do not let children play with wet toys or other items until these have been cleaned and disinfected. Wipe these items with a diluted bleach solution or by washing the toys in a dishwasher using hot water.
  • Those performing the cleanup should practice good personal hygiene by washing their hands after completing cleanup and before touching food or beverages, or smoking. Wear waterproof gloves and protective clothing. Protective gear should be discarded or washed after cleanup is completed each day.
  • Contact your physician or health care provider if you or a family member develops any of the following symptoms within five days: fever greater than 100 degrees, vomiting, diarrhea, and/or severe stomach cramps.
  • If you receive a puncture wound or other injury during the flood or while you perform flood cleanup, talk with your health care provider about the need for treatment and/or a tetanus shot.

August 8, 2020

Our staff and partners will operate the Recovery Information Center today, Saturday August 8th, through Monday, August 10th, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.

August 7, 2020

To help residents recover from Tuesday’s severe storm, our office and partners will be at two locations to provide guidance, assistance, and resources on Friday, August 8th:

  • Southwest Philadelphia: Penrose Elementary School, 2515 S 77th Street. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
  • Manayunk: Philadelphia Fire Department Engine 12, 4447 Main Street. 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Northeast Philadelphia: Stephen Decatur Elementry School,  3500 Academy Road, 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.

August 6, 2020

To help residents recover from Tuesday’s severe storm, our office and partners will be at two locations to provide guidance, assistance, and resources on Thursday, August 7th:

  • Southwest Philadelphia: Penrose Elementary School, 2515 S 77th Street. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
  • Manayunk: Philadelphia Fire Department Engine 12, 4447 Main Street. 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

August 5, 2020

The Office of Emergency Management, with support from other City departments and partners, will operate an assistance location for residents of Eastwick, or others,  affected by yesterday’s storm. If you are in need of assistance or resources, please visit us at Penrose Elementary School, 2515 S 77th Street, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. today.

After the Emergency

There are important steps to take after an emergency to help you recover from a disaster quicker.

Please be mindful of the impact from COVID-19 and remain safe through wearing masks and social distancing as you clean up you recover from this storm.

Here is information and resources to help you:

Disaster Recovery

• If there was water in the home, there is the potential for mold. Don’t wait for inspectors to clean your house!
• Take photos of all damage prior to cleaning.
• Call your insurance agent to file a claim and report the damage as soon as possible. Homeowners insurance usually covers losses caused by wind, storms, or broken water pipes, but not surface flooding.
• Be aware of scams. Research companies or businesses that are offering to do work for you.
• Wear protective clothing and be careful cleaning up.
• Throw out all food, beverages, and medications that may have been exposed to flood waters or mud. When in doubt, throw it out.
• Keep children and pets away from flood waters.
• Wash your hands often with soap and clean water or use a hand-cleaning gel with alcohol in it.
• If you need assistance, call 1-800-Red-Cross.

Inspecting Your Home

• Avoid hazards around your home. Check for structural damage before you re-enter the building.
• Keep the power off until an electrician has inspected your system for safety.
• Turn off the gas. And be alert for gas leaks. Call 911 is you suspect or smell a gas leak.
• Look before you step. After a flood, it is common for the ground and floors to be covered with debris, including broken bottles and nails. Floors and stairs that have been covered with mud can be very slippery.
• Pump out flooded basements gradually (about one-third of the water per day) to avoid structural damage. If the water is pumped out completely in a short period of time, pressure from water-saturated soil on the outside could cause basement walls to collapse.
• Service damaged septic tanks, cesspools, pits, and leaching systems as soon as possible. Damaged sewage systems are health hazards.

More resources from partner agencies

Federal Emergency Management Agency resources on recovering from flooding and insurance.

The Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA) has a resource guide After the Disaster, Returning to Normal for those who were impacted by Tropical Storm Isaias.

Information from the American Red Cross on the hazards of flooding.

August 4, 2020

Eastwick Updates

7:30 p.m.

OEM and the Red Cross will remain on-site at the Rite Aid until 9:30 p.m. tonight. If you were impacted by today’s storm and need assistance, please call 1-800-Red-Cross.

6 p.m.

Residents of the Eastwick area who were affected by flooding due to Tropical Storm Isaias

If you have over 12 inches of water in your home or your utilities are not working, it is recommended that you evacuate. If you are in the Eastwick area and are in need of assistance, please go to the Rite Aid located at Island Ave. & Lindbergh Blvd.

The Office of Emergency Management and the Red Cross are there to provide assistance. If you need assistance getting to the Rite Aid, please call 911.

If you are evacuating, please bring your medication, pets and pet supplies, other essential items to be out of your house for the night. Please bring a mask, if you do not have a mask, one will be provided to you.

If you smell gas, call 911.

Information on preparing for and responding to emergencies during the COVID-19 pandemic.