PhillyStat was created in 2008 by Administration officials to bring transparency to government performance in the delivery of services for our residents. Over time, the scope of the program has evolved. However, the core of what we do remains the same: to increase organizational effectiveness and to bring alignment in plans, processes, decisions, people, actions and results that bring improved value to our residents.
The goals of the PhillyStat program are:
• To drive better results and services, by maintaining a focus on problem-solving and process improvement;
• To bring the right information to the table, by integrating operational, financial, and other relevant information into performance sessions;
• To set meaningful measures and targets in a collaborative fashion;
• To manage to consistent priorities, by placing emphasis on the City’s top priorities;
• To better communicate with stakeholders.
PhillyStat holds regular meetings between city and department leadership. These meetings are attended by senior officials including the Mayor, the Mayor’s Chief of Staff, department heads, and leaders of OIT, Human Resources, and other operating agencies. Through these meetings, City leaders are able to align city-wide performance strategies, increase departmental accountability, and better understand progress towards achieving departments’ goals. More information can be found in our department presentations
In addition to reporting, we also provide these services:
• Internal Consulting:
Internal consulting activities include guidance and leadership on departmental strategic planning, survey execution & analysis and qualitative research to support departments on long term strategic priorities and customer research.
• Data Analytics:
PhillyStat is continually looking for opportunities to help departments pursue data driven decision making. By supporting data analytics, departments are empowered to organize, analyze and validate data to increase program effectiveness and identify strategies for improvement.
PhillyStat works to connect performance management professionals across City departments to share best practices, create a problem solving space, and collaborate on projects and research.
PhillyStat and its team members have achieved multiple honors for its accomplishments, including:
- Recipient of 2015 ICMA Certificate of Excellence. ICMA is the world's largest organization dedicated to excellence in local government. The award is the highest level honor awarded to a city for performance management by the organization.
- National NextGen Public Service Award Finalist by Young Government Leaders and GovLoop.
- Team members were selected as examiners for the Pennsylvania State Baldrige Quality Award by the Keystone Alliance for Performance Excellence (KAPE). The Baldrige Model is a holistic performance management approach employed by organizations in multiple sectors to improve overall performance.