The Department of Streets collects fallen leaves for composting, which reduces the amount of waste that goes to landfill. The City performs mechanical leaf collection in certain areas with heavy leaf accumulation. You can also drop off bagged leaves at collection events throughout the city.
Residents can also drop off their bagged leaves at sanitation convenience centers or put bagged leaves out with normal trash, but these leaves will not be composted.
Leaf collection season
The 2020 Philly Leaf Recycling Program begins Monday, November 9, and ends Saturday, December 19, 2020.
2020 bagged leaf drop-off events
See the map for bagged leaf drop-off locations.
You can bring bagged leaves to drop-off points on the following days and times.
|Saturday, November 7, 2020||9 a.m. to 3 p.m.|
|Saturday, November 21, 2020||9 a.m. to 3 p.m.|
|Saturday, December 5, 2020||9 a.m. to 3 p.m.|
|Saturday, December 12, 2020||9 a.m. to 3 p.m.|
|Saturday, December 19, 2020||9 a.m. to 3 p.m.|
Tips for bagged leaf drop-off
- Residents must place leaves in large brown biodegradable paper bags.
- Yard waste (such as brush and tree limbs) will not be accepted.
- Do not mix trash or other recyclable materials with bagged leaves.
2020 mechanical leaf collection
See the map for mechanical leaf collection areas and pickup dates.
Tips for mechanical leaf collection
- Rake leaves into the street by 7 a.m. on the collection day for your area.
- Do not bag or pile the leaves.
- Move your vehicle to an off-street parking location on your scheduled collection day, if possible.
2020 map of drop-off events and mechanical collection
Enter your address to search the map. If you live within a mechanical collection area, select the shaded portion of the map to learn your pickup date. If you’re outside a mechanical collection area, take your bagged leaves to one of the drop-off locations.
- Mechanical Service Areas
- Bagged Leaf Drop-Off