Hazardous waste can harm people, pets, and the environment. These kinds of materials may be:
You can take household hazardous waste to a disposal site. Or, you can get rid of it at seasonal waste collection events throughout Philadelphia.
Collection events: Who can participate
Household hazardous waste collection events are available to residents in the Greater Philadelphia five-county region (Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia counties). Businesses must get rid of materials through a private service.
Collection events: Types of hazardous waste
Only certain kinds of hazardous waste are accepted at waste collection events. For other materials, you’ll need to find another method of disposal.
Accepted hazardous waste
- Auto and lead-acid batteries
- Auto body repair products
- Brake fluid
- Chemical fertilizer
- Drain and septic tank cleaners
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Lead products
- Lithium and NiCad batteries
- Motor oil
- Oil-based paints
- Pet collars and spray
- Pool and photo chemicals
- Roofing tar
- Spray paints
- Stain removers
- Tile and oven cleaner
- Transmission fluid
Waste that isn’t accepted
- Electronic waste: Take it to a sanitation convenience center.
- Latex and water-based paints: These paints aren’t hazardous and can be thrown away.
- Ordnance or explosive materials: Call your local Police Department district office to arrange disposal.
- Used motor oil: Take it to a site registered with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection.
Collection events: How to participate
Residents must register in advance for household hazardous waste collection events. Drop-offs will be scheduled in 15-minute increments between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. After signing up, you’ll receive a confirmation email. You should keep a copy or screenshot of this message.
Spring-fall 2022 household hazardous waste collection events
Collection events take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
|Saturday, April 2, 2022||Northeast Philadelphia||8401 State Rd., 19136|
|Saturday, May 14, 2022||West Philadelphia||N. 48th and Parkside Ave., 19131|
|Saturday, June 18, 2022||Northwest Philadelphia||300 Domino Lane, 19128|
|Thursday, July 14, 2022||Northeast Philadelphia||8401 State Rd., 19136|
|Saturday, Sept. 17, 2022||North Philadelphia||W. York St. & N. 22nd St., 19132|
|Saturday, Oct. 22, 2022||Southwest Philadelphia||3033 S. 63rd St., 19153|
|Saturday, Nov. 5, 2022||Port Richmond||3901 N. Delaware Ave., 19137|
Transporting hazardous materials
Follow these tips to prepare your materials for transit and disposal.
- Never mix hazardous materials together. This could result in dangerous chemical reactions.
- Keep all products in their original containers. Do not remove labels.
- Tightly seal all lids and caps. If a container can’t be tightly closed, place it in a sealed plastic bag.
- Wrap all breakable containers in newspaper.
On the day of the collection event, place all of your materials in a sturdy box. Then, put the box securely in your vehicle to prevent it from moving as you drive.