Department of Records - City of Philadelphia
RECORDS : Document Recording

An action to quiet title is a lawsuit brought in a court having jurisdiction over land disputes, in order to establish a party’s title to real property against anyone and everyone, and thus “quiet” any challenges or claims to the title. It comprises a complaint that the ownership (title) of a parcel of land or other real property is defective in some fashion, typically where title to the property is ambiguous. A typical ground for complaint includes the fraudulent conveyance of a property, perhaps by a forged deed or under coercion.

Unlike acquisitions through a deed of sale, a quiet title action will give the party seeking such relief no cause of action against previous owners of the property.

If you believe you are a victim of property identity theft, contact the Office of Judicial Records, 296 City Hall, at 215-686-4251 for more information.


Stolen Homes / Mortgage Fraud
If you are the victim of property fraud, please do the following:

  • Obtain a copy of the deed or mortgage in question from the Records
    Department In Room 154, City Hall.

    Be sure to search the records by property address to make sure there are no other
    fraudulent documents. Records Department staff will assist you in obtaining a copy.

    If you are not able to visit City Hall, you can request a copy of the document by mail.
    Include your name and address, the address of the property in question and a brief description of the problem.

    Requests should be sent to:
    Records Department, Room 154 City Hall, Philadelphia, PA 19107. Attn: Supervisor.

  • You may also access the information online. There is a fee for online service payable
    by credit card. To apply for this service, go to:

  • Notify the District Attorney's Office at 215-686-9902.

  • Obtain the services of a real estate lawyer AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

  • Contact the Consumer Affairs Unit in Room 116 City Hall, 215-686-7598,
    for help in notifying any prospective buyers about your claim of ownership.

Contact the Lawyer's Referral and Information Services of the Philadelphia Bar Association:
215-238-6333. The Service will refer you to a real estate lawyer or to an appropriate organization. You must telephone the service. The service does not have walk-in hours.


Additional Forms - for the most up-to-date filing form for Quiet Title