In October 2018, Mayor Jim Kenney signed an executive order to combat the opioid crisis. This order activated 35 City offices for a joint emergency response to the epidemic.
The Philadelphia Resilience Project focuses on the most pressing needs and critical neighborhoods, including Kensington and surrounding areas. The project's seven key mission areas are:
- Clearing major encampments.
- Reducing criminal activity.
- Reducing the number of unsheltered individuals.
- Reducing trash and litter.
- Reducing overdoses and the spread of infectious diseases.
- Increasing treatment options.
- Mobilizing community resources.
The Philadelphia Resilience Project has made significant progress on its immediate and short-term goals. In December 2018, the group asked Mayor Kenney to extend the executive order. The coordinated emergency response will run through June 2019.