In 2019, the Department of Streets held a phase 1 Mechanical Street Cleaning pilot in six neighborhoods. In 2021, Mayor Jim Kenney committed $62 million over five years for street cleaning. With these funds, the Department of Streets started the phase 2 Mechanical Street Cleaning pilot in 14 neighborhoods.
This program operates on select routes from April through November each year. Mechanical street cleaning includes:
- Mechanical brooms sweeping street debris.
- Staff cleaning some routes with backpack blowers and hand brooms.
- Sanitation officers issuing sanitation code violations related to litter and dumping.
- Reduces litter.
- Prevents trash and debris from entering our water system.
- Focuses on the city’s most vulnerable communities.