The Island Avenue improvement project aims to reduce congestion and improve safety for all modes of transportation along Island Avenue from Elmwood Avenue to Suffolk Avenue.
- A shared trail for pedestrians and cyclists
- Improved traffic signals and traffic signal timing
- Simplified intersections with reduced pedestrian crossing distances
- ADA compliant crossings and ramps
- Level boarding trolley platforms
- Additional and upgraded LED lighting fixtures
- Community garden and public programming sponsored by the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge
The Department of Streets is partnering with the Federal Highway Administration, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, and SEPTA on this project.
Construction is expected to begin in Spring 2023. During construction expect:
- Construction updates via press release and emails (to those who have provided an email address to the project team)
- Access to Island Avenue will be maintained throughout construction.
- Most cross-streets will remain open, and any closed cross-streets will have signed detour routes.
- Advanced notice of roadwork, including detours, will be provided to the public.
- Bus and trolley stops may be temporarily relocated.
- Access to businesses will be maintained.
- Truck access to businesses will be maintained.
- Pedestrian and bike access will be maintained but may be impacted.
|Island Avenue improvement project open house summary PDF||A recap of the May 22, 2019 open house, including its content and exhibits, as well as community comments.||March 08, 2023|
|Island Avenue Fast Facts 2023 PDF||Facts about the project||March 08, 2023|