Philadelphia Parks & Recreation welcomes our four-legged friends and their owners to our properties. Review our regulations and best practices for dog activity on Parks & Rec property.
Use this information to keep your pets safe and happy while protecting Philadelphia’s parks and green spaces.
Two main regulations guide Parks & Rec in the management of dogs on Parks & Rec property.
- City of Philadelphia leash laws
City Council ordinance requires that dogs be on a six-foot or shorter leash and that owners clean up after their pets. See Philadelphia Ordinance Chapter 10, Sections 104 and 105 (PDF) for complete rules.
- Philadelphia Code regulations governing the park system
Parks & Rec has the authority to designate an animal-free area anywhere within the Parks & Rec system. This does not include support, service, or guide animals. See The Philadelphia Code Chapter 15-200, Section 111. Animal-free Area (PDF) for complete rules.
Dogs are prohibited in animal-free areas. An animal-free area is a zone where no animals are permitted, except service animals. Animal-free areas are usually in Parks & Rec playgrounds, ballfields, lawn areas, spraygrounds, athletic courts, and gardens.
Find out how to create an animal-free area on a Parks & Rec property.
Be a good neighbor and park steward.
- Help to keep your park clean and safe for all to enjoy by picking up after your dog and using the trash cans.
- Always obey park or playground signs.
- Always keep control of your dog. It is the owner/handler’s responsibility.
- Do not allow your dog to run and jump on other people or dogs uninvited.
- Do not leave your dog unattended.
- Do not tie your dog to fences, benches or any park furnishings.
- Keep off wet grass.
- Be considerate of picnickers and watch where your dog goes. Remember, urine damages grass and trees.
- Obey City of Philadelphia licensing laws (get a dog license) and follow Commonwealth of Pennsylvania vaccination requirements (find low-cost pet care and vaccinations.)
Dogs are permitted in the following locations:
Parks & Rec property
You may walk your dog anywhere on Parks & Rec property on a leash of 6 feet or less, unless specifically posted as an animal-free area.
A dedicated, fenced-in area in a park or playground for dogs to exercise unleashed. There are currently seven authorized dog runs on Parks & Rec properties. All dog runs are managed and maintained by a local volunteer organization with oversight from Parks & Rec. Please follow dog run rules posted at each facility.
Dog run locations
- Black, Coyle and McBride (Pops) Playground: Trenton Ave. & E. Hazzard Sts., 19125
- Columbus Square Park: 12th & Reed Sts., 19147
- Manayunk (Pretzel) Park: 4300 Silverwood St., 19127
- Mario Lanza Park: 214 Catharine St., 19147
- Monkiewicz Playground: 3201 Richmond St., 19134
- Schuylkill River Park: 25th & Spruce Sts., 19103
- Seger Playground: 11th & Lombard Sts., 19147
- Lanier Playground: 1600 S 29th St., 19145
If you are interested in applying for a dog run in a Parks & Rec park, review our guidelines for requesting a dog run.