What we do
The Innovation Management Team empowers City employees and departments to solve challenges in new ways.
The team focuses on innovating through:
- People (training and empowering employees to think differently about solving challenges).
- Place (providing a space to encourage collaboration and innovation).
- Process (seeking, improving, and implementing ideas and initiatives).
Our innovation work has four components:
- The Innovation Academy trains City employees in creative thinking and problem-solving. It was created by the Innovation team and Jefferson (Philadelphia University and Thomas Jefferson University).
- The Innovation Fund allows City employees to test programs that improve government services. It is funded by the Mayor's Fund for Philadelphia.
- The Innovation Lab is a space for City employees to use for innovative and creative work.
- Innovation Consulting provides workshops for City departments and outside organizations to think about internal challenges in new ways.
SmartCityPHL SmartCityPHL uses data and technology to improve the lives of people who live, work, and visit our city.
Andrew directs the Innovation Management group within Philadelphia’s Office of Innovation and Technology. Aligned closely with the City’s Chief Administrative Officer, Innovation Management focuses on developing capacity for innovation within municipal government and finding ways to make technology accessible and meaningful to the public. Before moving into the innovation space, Andrew directed Philadelphia’s implementation of a citywide network of technology-enabled community centers known as Keyspots. Andrew earned a graduate degree in geography from Temple University in Philadelphia and continues to teach there as an adjunct instructor.