When a designated holiday falls on a Sunday, the City assigns the following Monday for observance of the holiday. The City will observe this year’s holidays on these dates:
All City offices close on holidays. This includes:
- Health centers
- Department of Licenses and Inspections (L&I) district offices and the L&I License and Permit Center at the Municipal Services Building
- Marriage License Department
- Philadelphia Parks & Recreation facilities and gated parking lots
- Free Library of Philadelphia branches
- Executive offices of the Philadelphia Parking Authority (PPA), as well as its Violations Branch at 9th and Filbert streets
The City observes holidays for a single day. Offices return to regular hours on the next business day.
Changes to services
Certain services are limited or delayed on City holidays. These include:
- Trash and recycling collection: Trash and recyclables are not collected on City holidays. Trash and recycling collection will be one day behind schedule for the rest of the week after a holiday.
- Parking enforcement: The Philadelphia Parking Authority does not enforce meters, kiosks, or residential parking time limits on certain holidays. Review the list of parking holidays.
- 311 service requests: The Philly311 contact center is closed on City holidays. However, you can submit a service request or track a service request through the Philly311 mobile app and online forms.
Essential services, including police, fire response, and 911, do not change during City holidays.