Are you a Philadelphia duplex owner? Do you live in it? If yes, you qualify for a full exemption of the City’s trash and recycling collection fee starting in 2022!

Beginning next year, Philly’s owner-occupied duplexes will join the list of properties that are fully exempted from paying the City’s $500 annual Refuse Collection fee. They previously qualified for a 50% fee reduction.

If you received a 50% reduction last year, we will automatically apply a 100% exemption this year. If you didn’t take advantage of the exemption in 2021, but qualify, please fill out and return this Refuse Collection Exemption form.

We will only apply the 100% discount if you have a single rental unit and can provide a current rental license from the Department of Licenses & Inspections.

If you haven’t paid your 2021 bill, please do so now.

2022 bills in the mail

Most multi-unit and large commercial properties in Philadelphia must hire private trash hauling services. Some smaller properties, including owner-occupied duplexes, can nevertheless get City trash (refuse) collection for an affordable fee.

We mailed bills for the 2022 collection fee this month. Please check your mailbox if you know you need to pay it. It’s possible to pay in two, $250 installments – the first by December 31, 2021, and the second by June 30, 2022.

The best way to pay the Refuse Collection Fee is online, at (scroll down to the “Services” section).

You can also pay by mail:

Philadelphia Dept. of Revenue
P.O. Box 966
Philadelphia, PA 19102-966

If you would rather pay in person, please remember that we don’t accept Visa cards for this type of transaction. But you can use your card to pay online.

Exempted properties

If you use a private trash collection service, you don’t pay the $500 fee. Nevertheless, you must fill out and return the Refuse Collection Exemption form. We recommend that you include a copy of your current trash service agreement from a licensed hauler.

Like owner-occupied duplexes, the following properties can also get a full exemption:

  • House of worship – used for religious purposes only
  • Vacant property – the owner must provide a current Vacant Property license from the Department of Licenses & Inspections.

If your property falls into any of these categories, please fill out and return the exemption form with supporting documents. Houses of worship or vacant properties must complete and submit this form every year to continue to receive this service.

If you have questions, please call us at (215) 686-6600 or send an email to