It’s not too late to brush up on your backstroke or become a lifeguard for next season!
Residents can build swimming skills or train to be a lifeguard through mid-September at Samuel Recreation Center. Parks & Rec is offering swimming lessons for children aged 6 and up, plus swim time for youth and adults. You can take a screening to be a lifeguard, or practice the skills needed for lifeguarding.
Parks & Rec’s Water Safety Instructors will host these free water skills programs through Friday, September 24. All lessons and swim sessions take place at Samuels Recreation Center’s pool, 3539 Gaul St., 19134.
The offerings include:
Become a lifeguard!
Lifeguard screenings and skills practice
- What: Interested in becoming a Parks & Rec lifeguard? Sign up for a screening and/or skills practice. For those ages 15 and up. Pre-registration required.
- When: Monday – Friday, 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. and 6:45 – 7:45 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, 9:15 – 10:45 a.m and 1:30 – 2:45 p.m.
- How: Register for a lifeguard screening.
Free swim lessons
Parent & tot swim lessons
- What: This program gives parents/guardians the opportunity to participate in an aquatic activity with their preschool-aged child. Parents must be in the water with tot at all times. Pre-registration required.
- When: Saturday and Sunday, 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 12:15 – 1:15 p.m.
- How: Reigster for parent and tot swim lessons.
Youth swim lessons
- What: A class for children ages 6+ who can stand in the three-foot section without assistance. Pre-registration required.
- When: Monday—Friday, 4:15 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday 12:15 – 1:15 p.m.
- How: Register for youth swim lessons.
Youth open lap swim
- What: open for youth under the age of 18 who are able to complete one length of the pool without stopping or assistance. Pre-registration required.
- When: Monday – Friday, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- How: Register for youth open lap swim.
Adult open lap swim
- What: A great opportunity for strength and endurance training. Use of the pool is not exclusive. You may need to share a lane with others of your ability level for ‘circle swimming.’ Other parts of the pool will be used by lap swimmers of all abilities and lifeguard candidates (age 15+). Pre-registration required.
- Monday – Friday, 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. and 6:45 – 7:45 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday, 9:15 – 10:45 a.m. and 1:30 – 2:45 p.m.
- How: Register for adult open lap swim.