Do you live, work, bike, walk, or drive in West Philadelphia? As part of a repaving and improvement project set for 2022, the City is seeking community feedback on redesign options for Walnut Street from 22nd to 63rd Street, and Chestnut Street from 63rd Street to 34th Street. Learn more about the project and provide your input today to help decide the future layout for this corridor.
Traffic safety on Chestnut and Walnut Streets is a high priority for the City and for neighbors. Sections of both streets are on the City’s Vision Zero High Injury Network, where 80 percent of crashes in the city happen on 10 percent of streets. From 2015 to 2019, there were almost 700 crashes, 186 pedestrians were hit by drivers, and there were 8 fatal crashes along the six-mile corridor.
After speaking with neighborhood groups, community residents, and businesses in the area to learn more about their specific concerns about traffic safety, the City’s Office of Transportation, Infrastructure & Sustainability (OTIS) compiled this feedback and worked with the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVRPC) to perform traffic analysis to see which options would work and which would not work to guide the design options.
The project will use committed state funds and will focus on improving the safety of Chestnut and Walnut Streets for all road users by:
- Creating a smoother street
- Creating safer and shorter pedestrian crossings
- Keeping sidewalks and crosswalks clear of parked cars
- Calming vehicle traffic by decreasing speeding, weaving, and aggressive driving
- Separating people biking from people walking and people driving
- Keeping traffic moving at a predictable, reliable, and safe speed
How you can provide feedback
Residents, road users, and businesses along the six mile stretch are encouraged to watch a series of short videos explaining the details of the project and the design options for both streets.
After watching the videos, there are multiple ways residents can provide input on the design options and stay informed about the project:
- Fill out this brief survey (available in English and Spanish) by July 15, 2021.
- Text or call (215) 436-9886
- Send comments and questions by email to VisionZeroPHL@phila.gov
To learn more about this project, visit the program website on Phila.gov.