In June, the City launched four new options for restaurants to operate outdoor dining in order to earn much needed revenue. Sidewalk cafés, streeteries, temporary use of private lots for dining, and temporary street closures are allowed through an application process.
Businesses or organizations approved for temporary full street closures in support of outdoor dining must reapply weekly.
Street Closures for Weekend of February 26-28, 2021
Vehicular traffic should avoid the following streets.
- Old City District: S. 2nd Street – Market to Chestnut Streets (Continuous)
- Reading Terminal Market: Filbert Street – 11th to 12th Streets, single lane closure (Daily 9 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.); Arch Street – 11th to 12th Streets, single lane closure (Daily 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.)
- Midtown Village: S. 13th – Chestnut to Sansom Streets, S. 13th – Sansom to Walnut Streets, S. 13th – Walnut to Locust Streets, Sansom – S. Juniper to S. 12th, Sansom – S. 12th to S. 13th, Drury Street – S. Juniper to 13th, S. Juniper – Chestnut to Sansom Streets (Wednesday through Friday, 2 p.m. to 11:59 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.; S. Juniper Street only – Continuous; Drury Street only – Tuesday 3/2 11 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.)
- S. Camac Street: Manning to Locust Streets (Daily 2 p.m. to 11:59 p.m.); St. James to Locust Streets (Daily 2 p.m. to 11:59 p.m.); Spruce to Cypress Streets (Daily 3 p.m. to 11:59 p.m.)
- Rittenhouse: S. 18th – Locust to Walnut Streets, S. 18th – Walnut to Sansom Streets, Sansom – S. 15th to S. 16th Streets (Daily 4 p.m. to 11:59 p.m.); S. 18th – Sansom to Chestnut Streets and S. 18th – Chestnut to Market Streets, single lane closure (Daily 4 p.m. to 11:59 p.m.)
- South Street Headhouse: S. 2nd Street – Pine to Lombard Streets (Daily 4 p.m. to 11:59 p.m.)
- University City: 3400 Block of Sansom Street (Daily 11 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.)
- Manayunk: Conarroe Street – Main to Cresson Streets (Daily 11 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.)
Restaurants that have patio areas on their properties or already have sidewalk café licenses are able to offer outdoor seating, as long as they follow COVID-19 safety precautions and have current, valid restaurant licenses.
Outdoor dining application forms are available online.
Businesses without existing permits, and those who wish to expand their existing outdoor dining footprint, are encouraged to apply for our new outdoor dining options. Registration and approval is required for new or expanded outdoor dining prior to opening.