In June, the City launched four new options for restaurants to operate outdoor dining in order to earn much needed revenue. These new options aim to support businesses during the city’s green phase of reopening from the COVID-19 pandemic. Sidewalk cafés, streeteries, temporary use of private lots for dining, and temporary street closures are allowed through an application process.
Businesses or organizations approved for temporary full street closures in support of outdoor dining must reapply weekly.
Street Closures for Weekend of October 22-25, 2020
Vehicular traffic should avoid the following streets.
- East Passyunk Avenue: S. 12th – Morris to E. Passyunk Ave. (Saturday 11 a.m. through Sunday 11:59 p.m.), 1600 E. Passyunk Ave. (Saturday 2 p.m. to 11:59 p.m. Sunday)
- Midtown Village: S. 13th – Chestnut to Sansom Streets, S. 13th – Sansom to Walnut Streets, S. 13th – Walnut to Locust Streets, Sansom – S. Juniper to S. 12th, Sansom – S. 12th to S. 13th, Drury Street – S. Juniper to 13th, S. Juniper – Chestnut to Sansom Streets (Wednesday through Sunday 2 p.m. to 11:59 p.m.; S. Juniper – Chestnut to Sansom Streets ONLY Monday 2 p.m. to 11:59 p.m.)
- South 9th Street: Federal to Ellsworth Streets – Ellsworth to Washington Ave. (Friday 4 p.m. through Sunday 11:59 p.m.)
- S. Camac Street: Manning to Locust Streets (Tuesday 2 p.m. through Sunday 11:59 p.m.); St. James to Locust Streets (Tuesday 2 p.m. through Sunday 11:59 p.m.); Spruce to Cypress Streets (Thursday 3 p.m. through Sunday 11:59 p.m.)
- Old City: S. 2nd Street – Market to Chestnut Streets (Thursday 10 a.m. through Sunday 11:59 p.m.)
- Reading Terminal Market: Filbert Street – 11th to 12th Streets (Thursday 9 a.m. through Wednesday 11:59 p.m.)
- South Street Headhouse District: 400 Block of S. 2nd Street, full closure (Daily 4 p.m. to 11:59 p.m.); South Street – 2nd to Hancock Streets (Sunday only 9 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.)
- Rittenhouse: S. 18th – Locust to Walnut Streets, S. 18th – Walnut to Sansom Streets, Sansom – S. 15th to S. 16th Streets (Wednesday 4 p.m. through Sunday 11:59 p.m.)
- Manayunk: Conarroe Street – Main to Cresson Streets (Daily 11 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.)
- University City: 3400 Block of Sansom Street (Thursday 11 a.m. through Sunday 11:59 p.m.)
- Port Richmond: E. Clementine Street – Gaul to Miller Streets (Friday 11 a.m. through Sunday 11:59 p.m.)
- Fitler Square: 500 Block of S. 20th Street (Saturday 3 p.m. through Sunday 11:59 p.m.)
Restaurants that have patio areas on their properties or already have sidewalk café licenses are able to offer outdoor seating, as long as they follow COVID-19 safety precautions and have current, valid restaurant licenses.
Outdoor dining application forms are available online, under the “Entertainment/Travel and Restaurants” section.
Businesses without existing permits, and those who wish to expand their existing outdoor dining footprint, are encouraged to apply for our new outdoor dining options. Registration and approval is required for new or expanded outdoor dining prior to opening.