Meeting Philadelphia’s housing goals: Supporting over 16,000 households
The Department of Planning and Development’s (DPD) Housing Action Plan (HAP) outlines Philadelphia’s commitment to housing. It describes how our programs and policies support:
- Economic growth.
- Sustainable neighborhoods.
- Quality affordable housing.
Now, you can get a better look at how the plan is making a difference in Philadelphia’s communities.
The Housing Action Plan dashboard shows our benchmarks and progress. It also provides details on each program’s performance. We will update the HAP dashboard two times per year.
The HAP dashboard highlights our efforts, including:
- Housing production, because Philadelphia needs new housing opportunities at all income levels.
- Housing preservation, because the most affordable home is often the one where a resident already lives.
- Homelessness prevention, to help residents avoid or emerge from homelessness.
In 2019, the first year of HAP, we exceeded our goal to serve 10,000 households, serving 16,174 families.
Here are some of the ways we’ve served residents:
- Adaptive Modifications Program: Free adaptations to give people with disabilities easier access to and mobility within the home.
- Affordable rental housing preservation: Occupied subsidized rental units preserved through rehabilitation.
- Basic Systems Repair Program: Free repairs to fix roofing and major home systems emergencies.
- HOME rental assistance: Rental help for households facing homeless and with special needs.
- HOPWA rental assistance: Rent support for people with HIV/AIDS.
- Housing counseling: Free help for residents who are:
- Buying a first home.
- Facing mortgage foreclosure, tax foreclosure, and eviction.
- Meeting other housing challenges.
- Restore, Repair, Renew Program: Low-interest loans for home repairs.
- Philly First Home Program: Down payment and closing cost help for first-time homebuyers.
- Utility Grant Program: Addressing utility and other financial issues to help people stay in their homes.
And those are just some of our programs!
Besides our results, you can also learn about the programs that are helping us meet our goals. With each update, DPD will add new programs established by the City and the use of these programs as well.