In order to be hired for a Civil Service job, you must be a Philadelphia resident (within 6 month of hire, unless otherwise noticed), take and pass a test, and rank high enough to be called in for an interview.
To apply for a Civil Service test...
1. Scroll through the current Civil Service job opportunities listingsand identify the exam(s) in which you are interested. Take note and write down the exam title, exam number, and any additional information you feel you may need.
2. Review the minimum requirements for those exams you identified in the previous step. Carefully read the minimum requirements for each of these exams-- only applicants who meet or exceed the minimum requirements as they are stated on the announcement will be allowed to take the test.
3. Get an application blank. Blank applications are also available from the Employment Application Center on the Concourse level (below street) of the Municipal Services Building, 1401 J.F. Kennedy Boulevard, on Monday-Friday from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM. your local branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia your Human Resources Representative (if you are already a City employee)
4. Fill out an application for each exam in which you are interested. You MUST include in each application the following information;
Applicants must meet the eligibility requirements (minimum qualifications) for the exam in order to be admitted to the exam. Your eligibility to take the test will be based upon the information you supply. It is the applicant's responsibility to fill each application out completely and truthfully. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
5. Submit completed application by mail to...
Office of Human Resources
Municipal Services Building
1401 J. F. Kennedy Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19102-1675
Applications MUST BE RECEIVED by the Office of Human Resources on or before the exam's CLOSING DATE. If mailed, applications MUST BE POSTMARKED by the CLOSING DATE.
A drop box for completed applications is located in the lobby of the Municipal Services Building (MSB).
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that his/her application is complete and received by the deadline.
You will be informed of the test date by mail if you are eligible to compete.
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to email@example.com. For more information go to: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations