What we do
The Office of LGBT Affairs works to foster equitable working and living conditions for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) people and to advocate for LGBTQ issues in all areas of City government. Created in 2008 by mayoral executive order, the Office of LGBT Affairs became a permanent part of the City’s charter in 2015. The office aims to:
- Develop City policy regarding civil rights issues affecting LGBTQ people.
- Help enact policies and programs to meet the City’s diversity, equity, inclusion goals.
- Coordinate among City departments, agencies, and offices to improve LGBTQ access to services, and to promote equity and safety for LGBTQ people.
- Support the growth and development of the City’s LGBTQ communities and serve as a liaison between the area’s LGBTQ communities and the City.
- Provide education about the needs of the LGBTQ community.
You can learn more about our key partnerships with City and community organizations.
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Phone: (215) 686-0330
There are no upcoming events.
Executive Director, Office of LGBT Affairs
Since coming to Philadelphia from North Carolina more than a decade ago, Celena Morrison has been a vocal advocate for LGBTQ+ residents, with a particular focus on the transgender community. Providing support, education, and resources throughout the community is a passion of Celena’s, and she is devoted to making a difference in her community. Her advocacy work is driven by her desire to always be of service. Prior to joining the City, Celena was the Director of Programs at the William Way LGBT Community Center. She previously served as Community Engagement Specialist at the Mazzoni Center for several years, providing education and support resources for the trans community, and as a Recovery Specialist at Morris Home. Celena is also a Support Specialist for the P.A.C.T.S. program, a collaboration between CHOP and Mazzoni Center.
Celena has created and facilitated several workshops for Mazzoni Center’s Sisterly L.O.V.E. program. She has also presented at some of the largest U.S. conferences and continues to educate other organizations on how to better engage trans communities and communities of color. Celena was a Commissioner of the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations from 2018 until her appointment as Executive Director of the Office of LGBT Affairs in 2020 and was honored as one of Philadelphia Pride’s 2019 Grand Marshalls.