What we do
The Office of LGBT Affairs works to foster equitable working and living conditions for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) people and to advocate for LGBTQ issues in all areas of City government. Created in 2008 by mayoral executive order, the Office of LGBT Affairs became a permanent part of the City’s charter in 2015. The office aims to:
- Develop City policy regarding civil rights issues affecting LGBTQ people.
- Help enact policies and programs to meet the City’s diversity, equity, inclusion goals.
- Coordinate among City departments, agencies, and offices to improve LGBTQ access to services, and to promote equity and safety for LGBTQ people.
- Support the growth and development of the City’s LGBTQ communities and serve as a liaison between the area’s LGBTQ communities and the City.
- Provide education about the needs of the LGBTQ community.
The Office of LGBT Affairs also works closely with the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations (PCHR) to make sure the rights of LGBTQ resudents are protected. Contact the PCHR by phone at 215-686-4670 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LGBTQ Community-Police Relations: Deputy Commissioner Melvin Singleton works to improve safety and communications between LGBTQ communities and the Philadelphia Police Department. The Deputy Commissioner can be reached at email@example.com. Anyone who is not comfortable contacting the police can get in touch with the Office of LGBT Affairs for facilitation.
Greater Philadelphia GOAL represents all LGBTQ officers in the area.
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Phone: (215) 686-0330
There are no upcoming events.