Great news! The Department of Commerce launched the PHL Youth Creates Seed Fund Challenge, a pilot initiative to support creative entrepreneurship pathways for Philadelphia students ages 10 to 24 attending a public, charter, or undergraduate school.
Are you a young entrepreneur with ideas such as launching a new product, a tool for design improvements, or a digital app to create a new network for creatives? We believe in you and your dreams. Share your innovative, creative, and unique business ideas with us!
Applicants can submit an application that:
- Pitches the launch of a new creative business venture or,
- Pitches the growth of an existing creative business.
The application deadline is February 1, 2024 at 11:59 p.m.
Three winners will receive:
- Seed funding grant award of up to $5,000
- Technical Assistance for business support
- Financial literacy assistance
Each seed funding will be awarded per grade group:
- Middle School (5th –8th Grade)
- High School (9th – 12th Grade)
- Undergraduate student (4-year college, post-secondary, or trade school)
The goal is to help prepare youth entrepreneurs successfully grow in their creative entrepreneurship journeys. Technical assistance providers will meet one-on-one with each winner to help them build a strong foundation through financial literacy, business plan coaching and experiential learning.
- All students under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian consent form submitted.
- Applicants must be a Philadelphia resident attending a public, charter, or undergraduate school, in either grade 5 through 12, or an undergraduate student.
- Applicants must meet at least six times with a business leader for financial literacy support and technical assistance if awarded seed funding.
- A detailed materials and equipment expenses list, including the dollar amount needed to fund your product or business services.
- Signed parental/guardian consent form if under 18 years old.
- Application Deadline: February 1, 2024
- Award Notification: February 2024
- Award Ceremony Presentation at the Kick-off for the Creative Economy and Arts in Education Month: March 1, 2024
How to Apply
The application is available online. Complete the parental or guardian consent form if you are under 18 years of age upon application submission.
Questions can be directed via email to Sopheap.Heng@phila.gov.
Missed the recent information session? The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) is now available.