Did you know you can save on property taxes in Philadelphia if you’re an active duty National Guard or reserve military servicemember? The City’s Active Duty Tax Credit program allows members of the National Guard or Reserves of the United States Armed Forces to receive a credit on their property taxes while on active duty outside Pennsylvania. Read on to learn how this tax relief program can help you save money on your next bill.
Discounts for servicemembers
If you currently serve in the National Guard or reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces – the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, or any active reserve unit – you qualify for Philadelphia property tax discounts. That’s because our Active Duty Tax Credit program exempts servicemembers from paying Real Estate Tax for any days they are on active duty outside Pennsylvania. To get this discount, you must:
- Be a member of the U.S. Armed Forces Reserve or National Guard.
- Be called to active duty outside of Pennsylvania.
- Have a principal residence that you own in Philadelphia.
Approved applicants will get relief on the City portion of their Real Estate Tax bill. The credit doesn’t apply to the portion of the tax that goes to the School District of Philadelphia. Please note that the discount amount depends on how much time you spend on active duty outside Pennsylvania during a year.
How can you apply for this discount?
The fastest and easiest way is to apply online. No username and password required. Here are the steps to follow:
- Find the “Search for a property” link on the Philadelphia Tax Center’s homepage under the “Property” panel.
- Enter your address and hit “Search.” Your property’s OPA number appears as a blue hyperlink on the right side of the screen.
- Select it to access your property account. Choose the “Apply for real estate assistance programs” link to access the next page. Then, find “Active Duty Tax Credit” from among the list of assistance programs and follow the prompts to submit your application.
If you prefer to submit a paper application, please download and complete this form.
Before you submit
Make sure your application includes:
- Your full name and Social Security Number or individual taxpayer identification number.
- The address of the property where the credit is being requested.
- The Real Estate Tax account number for the property.
- The total Real Estate Tax amount due before any credits.
- The number of days you were on active duty outside Pennsylvania.
Your application must also include a certified, signed, and dated statement that says:
- The property on the application is your principal residence.
- You are the owner of the property.
- All information on the application is true and correct.
Please visit our website for a complete list of application requirements or supporting documentation to submit along with your application.
The 2024 application will be available on our website in December 2023. Make sure to apply before the program’s annual March 31 application deadline. Be aware that this credit won’t be automatically applied to your property tax bill. You must apply yearly to continue to enjoy this discount. If you have questions or need help, please get in touch with us by calling 215-686-6442 or emailing email@example.com.