PHILADELPHIA – The City of Philadelphia is launching the formal process to appoint at least one new member of the Board of Education of the School District of Philadelphia. The appointment process will begin with the convening of the Educational Nominating Panel on Monday, April 4 followed by a three-week application window.
The Nominating Panel will consider applicants for the Board and submit a final list of names for Mayor Kenney’s consideration. The anticipated timeline is as follows:
- April 4: Educational Nominating Panel convenes. Press and members of the public can register to attend the virtual meeting via Zoom.
- April 4: Board of Education application opens. Applications will be available online at phila.gov/school-board-nominations, and printed versions will be available at City Hall.
- April 22: Board of Education application closes
- May: Educational Nominating Panel to recommend at least three (3) candidates to Mayor (Deadline is May 16).
- May: Mayor transmits Board of Education nomination to City Council (Deadline is May 26).
- Upon approval by Council, newly appointed member of the Board of Education begins their term.
“Our city’s children, families, and communities rely on the quality and strength of our public education system,” said Mayor Jim Kenney. “Schools are the key to our future and at the center of our society. Being a School Board member is vital and demanding public service, and an opportunity to benefit young people and our city as a whole. I thank the Educational Nominating Panel for taking on the work of recruiting and nominating candidates to serve, and encourage Philadelphians from all backgrounds who are interested in this opportunity to apply before the April 22 deadline.”
The Nominating Panel will meet in a hybrid format, with meetings open to the public via Zoom. Members of the public may register through Zoom to attend the meeting on Monday, April 4.
- Attendees interested in speaking may sign up online. The deadline to sign up as a speaker will be Sunday, April 3 at 11:59 p.m.
- Public comments may be submitted in writing. Written comments submitted after April 4 will still be reviewed and considered by the panel as part of their process.
Individuals who are interested in applying to serve on the Board of Education can do so beginning April 4, 2022 after the first meeting of the Educational Nominating Panel. The application will be live online at phila.gov/school-board-nominations. Paper applications can be picked up and dropped off at City Hall (Northeast entrance). The deadline to submit an application is Friday April 22, 2022.
As required by the Education Supplement to the Home Rule Charter, the Mayor shall convene the 13-Member Educational Nominating Panel to recommend possible Board of Education candidates to the Mayor, who will make appointments subject to City Council’s advice and consent. A list of the Educational Nominating Panel members, including their photos and bios, is available online.