The Department of Revenue strongly encourages taxpayers with amounts due to the City to settle those debts on time. If you delay paying your past-due tax and water bills, the amount you owe will grow and we may transfer your account to a collection agency.

The City currently utilizes eight private collection agencies (including four law firms) to help collect debts on its behalf. The City’s authorized collection agencies are listed below:

Agency name Phone number Responsible for collecting
Alliance One (215) -354-5500 Overdue business taxes and water charges
Goehring, Rutter & Boehm (GRB) (215)-735-1910 Overdue Real Estate Taxes. GRB also conducts Sheriff Sales, business discovery, and sequestration on the City’s behalf.
Harris & Harris (800)-362-0097 Business taxes, water charges and refuse fees.
Pioneer (800)-836-2442 Business taxes, delinquent Real Estate Taxes, and refuse fees.
Revenue Collection Bureau, Inc (RCB) (215)-288-6800 Business taxes, water charges, and conducts business discovery work.
Linebarger Goggan Blair & Sampson, LLP (LBR) (215)-790-1117 Unlike the others, LBR conducts Sheriff Sales and aids in post-judgment execution.
Salaman/Henry (215)-568-7575 Helps in post-judgment execution
Wong Fleming (215)-546-2776 Helps in post-judgment execution
Transworld Systems, Inc. (TSI) (877)-865-7686 Miscellaneous

Don’t wait

These agencies may use phone calls, emails, letters, and court actions to collect money owed to the City. But you can avoid this if you settle your debts right now or apply for help. We offer many assistance programs and payment plans for taxpayers and water customers. If a payment plan is not an option, you may qualify for an Offer In Compromise.

What to do

If you are unsure whether the agency contacting you is one of Revenue’s authorized collection agencies, you can go to Collection agencies | Service | City of Philadelphia to verify.

Keep in mind that these agencies will only contact you after our own attempts to collect your debt have been ignored.

What to expect

Once your debt has been transferred to a collection agency, you must work directly with the agency to pay your past-due bills.  Collection agencies will need to verify they’re talking to the correct person.  And to do that, they may ask for the last four digits of your Social Security Number (SSN), your Employer Identification Number (EIN), date of birth, client ID, property address, or phone number.

You have the option to make payments to the collection agency or the City. The agencies allow you to make payments online, by mail, or over the phone. Paying online is safe, and the easiest way to settle City debts.

Transfers to a collection agency will not affect your credit score. However, a transfer could increase the size of your debt and some payment agreement options will not be available once your account is with a collection agency. Don’t wait to be transferred to a collection agency.