Congratulations to the winners of the NBA2K21 Tournament, the first eSports competition for Philadelphia teens brought to you by Parks & Rec in partnership with Nerd Street Gamers!
- 1st Place: Dan Lasalle, Pelbano Recreation Center
- 2nd Place: Micah Carreram, Nelson Recreation Center
- 1st Place: Dylan Handley, Torresdale Recreation Center
- 2nd Place: Grant Gambino
Thank you to the Sixers Youth Foundation for presenting team jerseys and other great prizes to our winners.
Big prizes aside, teen competitors took away 5 important lessons from Parks & Rec’s first eSports tournament:
- Say YES to safe, friendly competition. After being cooped up for nearly a year thanks to the pandemic, gaming is a COVID-safe outlet for teens to let loose and have fun with each other.
- Stay connected with the community. Competitors represented their local rec centers while playing at home. It feels great to have the support of the neighborhood cheering squad, even from a distance.
- Practice problem solving. ESports let teens try different ways to achieve a goal under pressure.
- Join a team. ESports tournaments encourage players to cheer on their teammates and work together.
- Flex new muscles. ESports can help teens build soft skills like communication, team work, and self-confidence.
ESports are here to stay at Parks & Rec. Contact your local rec center to find more information about future programs.