In Philadelphia, businesses are required to ensure that their customers wear face masks. This requirement applies even if the customer has been vaccinated. [*] It’s up to all of us to remember this rule and work together as a city.
Talking with customers about masks
If you own or work for a retail or other business, it can be tricky to ask customers to wear masks at all times. Posting signs is a good way to remind customers to follow the rule. You can also use the intercom to address all customers without singling out an individual.
Unfortunately, there are times when you may have to serve a customer who refuses to mask. This can be frustrating, but you can and should ask them to wear a mask that covers their nose and mouth.
If a customer still says no:
- Point out the signs that display the masking rule.
- Get an owner or manager to speak with them.
- Offer some no-contact or low-contact purchase options, such as curbside delivery or pickup.
Keep yourself safe:
- Remember to wear a mask that covers your nose and mouth.
- Stay at least 6 feet from the customer.
- In an emergency, call 911.
Be a good customer
As we begin to emerge from the past year of COVID-19, we are all excited to get back to supporting our local shops, restaurants, and other small businesses. It’s everyone’s responsibility to keep our city safe. Wear your mask–Philly’s businesses will thank you!
[*] Unless exempt from mask requirements for medical or other approved reasons.