Arbor Day is Friday, April 30. This worldwide event helps raise awareness of trees and the important role that they play in our environment. You can honor this day by sharing your thoughts on trees as part of the Philly Tree Plan.
The Philly Tree Plan is a ten-year strategic plan for the planting and care of the urban forest. It is based on values of environmental justice, community engagement, and sustainability.
Three options to provide your feedback!
The Philly Tree Plan will focus on the perspectives and experiences of Philadelphians. There are three ways residents can share their story:
- How Philadelphians relate to trees.
- Perceived and real barriers to tree planting.
- Areas for improvement.
2) Post your pics for the Photography Challenge! For those who love to take photos and have a story about a tree to share. Post it on Instagram using hashtag #PhillyTreeStories to win cash and prizes.
- What is the urban forest and why is it important.
- Why Philadelphia’s urban forest is not equitably distributed.
- How the Philly Tree Plan is being developed and how it will support communities.
Proximity to industrial areas.
Public health factors.
Conduct interviews with neighbors.
Complete visual storytelling exercises.
Help inform the Tree Plan recommendations.
The urban forest means all of the trees in the city. This includes:
- Street trees.
- Yard trees.
- Trees on college, corporate or medical campuses.
- Trees in parks and natural areas.