Most Philadelphia families are eligible for a new monthly payment from the federal government of $250 or $300 per child starting as soon as July 2021! Here’s what you need to know about the new credit.

I have a child under 18. Can I get these payments?

Almost all Philadelphia families qualify.

If you are:

  • single with income under $75,000,
  • single and file taxes as a head of household with income under $112,500, or
  • married with a combined income under $150,000,

you can get $3,000 each year for children between the ages of 6 – 17, and $3,600 for children under 6. If you have a higher income, you may still be able to get smaller payments.

What do I need to do?

You must file taxes to claim the payments for your children, even if you have little or no income and do not usually file taxes. The payments are part of the new Child Tax Credit, and they will come from the IRS.  The payments will not affect other public benefits like SNAP, TANF cash assistance, SSI, or Medicaid.

Can I get help filing my taxes?

Philadelphians can file taxes for free with the Campaign for Working Families, a safe and trusted partner of the City of Philadelphia. Visit or call (215) 454-6483 to get started now! 

More options are available at

When will I get the payments?

The IRS plans to start sending monthly payments of $250 or $300 per child in July 2021. File your taxes as soon as possible to start getting your payments this summer! You can get the rest of the payments with your refund when you file taxes next year.

What if I am not a U.S. citizen?

If your child has a Social Security Number, you can file taxes with an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to claim the Child Tax Credit payments. Ask your tax preparer for help requesting an ITIN or go to the IRS site.

Get help filing your taxes for free with Campaign for Working Families, in person or online.