More than 100,000 people in Philadelphia have gotten both of their COVID-19 vaccine shots. Hundreds of thousands more have gotten at least one shot. Not everyone who wants to be vaccinated can get it yet, but more and more people are getting access every day.
Most people who have gotten their vaccine are wondering what they can do now. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has recently published new guidance to help with those questions.
What can people who are fully vaccinated do?
- Fully vaccinated people can visit indoors with other fully vaccinated people without wearing masks or social distancing.
- Fully vaccinated people can visit indoors with people who haven’t gotten their vaccine yet in very small gatherings, so long as the unvaccinated people are low risk for severe COVID-19 disease.
- Fully vaccinated people do not have to quarantine or get tested if they are exposed to someone with COVID-19, so long as they don’t get symptoms.
- Fully vaccinated people should talk to their friends and family about their experience and recommend that they register with the City on the Vaccine Interest form or by calling 311.
What should people who haven’t been vaccinated do?
- People who haven’t been vaccinated should not gather with other people who haven’t been vaccinated.
- People who haven’t been vaccinated should wear masks and socially distance from people from other households.
- People who haven’t been vaccinated should register on the City’s Vaccine Interest form or by calling 311 so they can be notified as soon as they are eligible for vaccine and we have doses for them.
What should everyone do?
- Everyone in Philadelphia should keep wearing their mask when out in public, socially distance, and avoid crowds.
- Everyone in Philadelphia should avoid medium and large gatherings indoors.
- Everyone in Philadelphia who develops symptoms should be tested for COVID-19.
- Everyone in Philadelphia who tests positive for COVID-19 should isolate from others.
The U.S. FDA is working with vaccine manufacturers to learn more about COVID-19 vaccines. We know that it’s possible for people who have been vaccinated to get sick with COVID-19, but they don’t get as sick. We don’t know if people who have been vaccinated can spread the virus to others, which is why we need to continue being careful.
Thank you for continuing to help keep yourself and others safe!